Campaigns

Conflicts and wars from the end of the Second World War to the end of the 20th century.
bannockburn bhoy

Campaigns

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 11 Jun 2019, 22:46

Is anyone running any Cold War Campaigns , if so what ,and what forces are involved...cheers John

UshCha

Re: Campaigns

Post by UshCha » 19 Jun 2019, 08:58

We are in the middle of a campaighn, well that what we call it. Its a virtual 16 by 6 ft board split into various roads, we just assemble what bit of board we need for the evening. Battle ranges are from a few hundred yards to 2.4km. Route about 10 to 12 km long (its 14/144 scale which make it more practical than bigger scales) . As any one road is proably only on a frontage of perhaps 600 to 800 yds wide , ideal for a platoon in defence using Maneouver Group which gets it a bit wrong and can cover 600m effectively not the regulation 500m but close enough given other scaling issues. The road pattern means that there are flanks which adds no-end to the complexity of the strategic/tactical approaches required. Its taking me at least a regiment and some, to take on a battalion battlegroup of Russians with engineering assets available at the start of the game. So far we have made about 100 bounds and its about nightfall.

I have used up 3 companies to get about 4k along the route having have expended quite a bit securing flanks, losses and ammo expenditure. I will proably halt for a while to let the mortars reposition and get more ammo for the artillery and pre-plan it for the next bound. The bad news is it gives him more engineering time.

Its the ultimate way to play for me, but despite minimal campaign rules, the need to consider what forces to commit at what time, when to call back the reconnisance to allow a full scale assult or push on, make the game far more complex and pushes my limits of capabilty, which is of course what makes it fun!

Anyone trying it would proably want to play smaller to start with. Plus it is for serious players, it takes a lot of evenings play and is utterly unplayable without folk who are keen, and have some understanding of the period. Chuck a few models on the table, throw some die and chat about the models it is not.

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 19 Jun 2019, 09:55

I have played untold one off Cold War gone hot games ,all fun , interesting etc ,I have a large collection of both Nato & Warsaw Pact forces together with some others. The one off games just aren't doing it for me any more and i really want to get into something with a bit more depth to it. So I fancied trying out a campaign , perhaps a mini campaign to start with.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what rule set would accommodate this best..any other advise would also be most welcome ,cheers John

UshCha

Post by UshCha » 19 Jun 2019, 10:28

well of course its us Maneouvre Group. ;-). Its abilities to allow fast road/open terrain movement is vital. Its artillery is vaugely gorrect and the army list and rules allows simple realistic control of artillery.

However if you did chose us we can help provide som pro formas to allow easy tracking of who what and when. As a mini campaigh a map like this (suItably scaled) would work.

You do need a camera as its ideal for recording the sate of play between games and lots of maps to record hidden positions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56805875@ ... ed-public/ The thick lines are bpoard edges. like this:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56805875@ ... ed-public/

Multiple routes is vital to allow the opertunities for interdiction of supply lines etc. It may look simple but the complexity is actually large. Dealing with larger games can mean its dummed down like Spearhead that can't even cope with real world terrain (look at the maps at the back), pure farce.

You need bridges and rivers so you can have river crossings, bridge layers, engineers building baily bridges etc. We fould it interesting to rate the roads and bridges like the real world, so that tanks can destroy weak roads as suppy routes without enginners reparing them afterwards, this adds to the higher level game which is not just about the local fight. Not only that, but lighter vehicles that can cross the bridges safely, have a good place to see combat, again adding to the richness of a campaign.

Now we did take a few liberties with the map. Unlike the real world its all good tactical terrain, none is useless to both sides. This keeps the size of the map down and moving across not very usefull terrain seemed an unneccessary use of recources (our time). We do try to have a wide range of scenary to allow diffrent force contructions to be the optimum, again giveing some strategic complexity to the decision making,

We always set out for one side to win. Equal points games are pointless even on a normal table, certainly with even vaugely realistic rules. If they doid work with equal sides they would by definition be in fantasy land. In a campaign one side HAS to have an advantage or its just a stalemate.

Of course all the opinions are the authors and may not reflect other opinions.

I look forward to what you chose and why.

After thought, we did do the odd 1/72 campaign on a long road, see virtual board below but it was not as good, lacks the complexity of a multi route and 1/72 ect not ideal for larger game (my opinion).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56805875@ ... ed-public/

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » 19 Jun 2019, 19:47

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 09:55
I have played untold one off Cold War gone hot games ,all fun , interesting etc ,I have a large collection of both Nato & Warsaw Pact forces together with some others. The one off games just aren't doing it for me any more and i really want to get into something with a bit more depth to it. So I fancied trying out a campaign , perhaps a mini campaign to start with.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what rule set would accommodate this best..any other advise would also be most welcome ,cheers John
(1) What rules have you used in the past?
(2) Is this supposed to be club, friends or solo playing?
(3) What is the objective? A series of linked battles with 'even' sides?
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 06 Jul 2019, 13:06

UshCha Thanks for your input a lot of food for thought there ,the need for inclusion of rivers ,bridges, etc...the use of tactical terrain ,making the most out of what can be got on the table.
Confirmation of a few things as well , multiple routes a must ,and not tied down to equal points per side, most actual encounters both sides use what is available to them. Plan to make resources a major part of the campaign.
It will be in 1/72 scale as im too heavily invested in it to start again with another scale ,however it is a 18ft x 12ft table with an add on of a 6ft x 4ft if required. Its going to take a while to get things sorted out ,obviously with a lot of trial and error, but I just need to do something a bit different, thanks again for the input ,cheers John