Who has run this Soviet Tactic

Conflicts and wars from the end of the Second World War to the end of the 20th century.
UshCha

Who has run this Soviet Tactic

Post by UshCha » 05 Feb 2019, 19:03

Brit Training Film 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFmaftssCsU

While this is Ideal for 1/144 I have a mate who wants do some of this in 1/72. Using a 12 ft by 4ft board looks like it could get the flavor with timing set assuming typical march speed of 15km/hr and the board being 1.2km long is not really an issue so 5km to the Point unit is 20min or about 4 bounds This is OK as the recce is only 3 elements will be quick bounds as speed of the recce needs to be FAST speed minimum for the recce until something happens. Or he bounds with the recce, one stops and another moves forward very fast. If he hits problems then the next lot comes on. I intend to finish with the vanguard. hopefully getting rid of the enemy.

So how have you guys done this? I cant be the first to do real world operations can I?

bannockburn bhoy

Re: Who has run this Soviet Tactic

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 05 Feb 2019, 21:12

Ive done something very similar.
Last edited by bannockburn bhoy on 05 Feb 2019, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » 05 Feb 2019, 22:44

UshCha wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 19:03
So how have you guys done this? I cant be the first to do real world operations can I?
Well before that film we were playing similar games with Heroics & Ros 1/300 scale stuff. The rules were called something like Combat Commander and gave a pretty good representation of command and action in the late 70s and early 80s. The rules encouraged the use of real tactical doctrine so when the Soviet Forces used the fast, non stop hammer blows they were generally successful unles NATO had really thought out their plan.

Seret

Post by Seret » 08 Feb 2019, 00:09

That's pretty standard stuff for a Soviet unit in attack. Their drills are well-understood and their doctrine was based around units at this level sticking pretty rigidly to the drill no matter what the tactical situation was. It was a conscript army after all, and not prone to being fancy or improvising.
UshCha wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 19:03
I cant be the first to do real world operations can I?
No. IIRC Phil Barker had good descriptions of how a Soviet unit attacked back in the old WRG moderns rules. Somebody developed that further and published some additional rules for that set which forced a Soviet player to use a pre-scripted plan that couldn't be changed on the fly. That made for a pretty realistic representation of how an attacking Soviet company or battalion actually worked, but not necessarily a very fun game.