Quad bikes

Conflicts and wars from the end of the Second World War to the end of the 20th century.
UshCha

Quad bikes

Post by UshCha »

It seems we have overleooked a piece of relatively small modern Equipment, Quad bikes. I am hoping to get a commission undertaken for a bike, its rider and at least 1 Trailer version by the end of January (1/144 scale of course). I can fined load of pictures of the Grizzley which would be ideal as it even carries its own Bridging equipment for ditches. However I can't find any thing like an engineering drawing, has anybody seen one that I could supply the designer?

Plus If anybody is interested it will hit the market at some time 1st qurater 2021, any favorites variations, loads, weapons etc. as I may be able to add a few bits on with no cost.

PS apparently the Brits had a prototype in 1944 for the paras, but it never made it to production.
Richard B.

Re: Quad bikes

Post by Richard B. »

S&S Models do some in 20mm
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

UshCha,
glad you are thinking 1/144 (12mm?) rather than 2mm or 3mm scale, as there would be nowt to see at such small scales, even at 1/300 they would be small.
you thinking of a printed plastic version to commission?
Must be getting easier to scale down from real object now? But I suppose that requires good imagery / camera and clever software.
Good luck with this one.
CarlL
sandsmodels

Post by sandsmodels »

Richard B. wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 15:27 S&S Models do some in 20mm
thanks richard
indeed we do make some in 72
sandsmodelshop.com
UshCha

Post by UshCha »

Carl,
There are two issues. First is that scanning and photo reproduction is harder than folk think and a LOT of post preocessing is required as a real
scale model would be unprintable and to delicate to be of any use certainley at less then 1/35. The othert is that untill you get to about 1/35 scale very little is scale. Printing or even casting, has minimum dimentions that can be produced. In reality the smallest my printer can reproduce is about 0.8mm rod, thats 115mm at real size. This minimum does not change so you get a more accurate model (but still way off) iat larger scales like 1/72 where 0.8mm would represent 57.5mm. So scaleing down a 1/72 scale models is likely to be unprintable at 1/144 if it was a decent model at 1/72. Similarly scaleing up from 1/144 would be printable but some bits would look massively oversize.

You may be aware of my continious rant on figure even at the so-called 28mm scale where the detail is ridiculously oversize ed well beyound manufactiring limitations so it can be seen and painted but the resulting figure is most definately not anatomicaly correct and clothed in a fabric uttely unlike the real thing; but that is (F)Art for you, each to their own. :twisted: