Cold War Scenario booklet anyone?

Conflicts and wars from the end of the Second World War to the end of the 20th century.
CarlL

Cold War Scenario booklet anyone?

Post by CarlL » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:01 pm

This looks cool, see https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/the- ... ches-west/

or see https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bear-Marches-W ... bc?ie=UTF8

where it is £7.49 paperback, or £1.99p as kindle

apologies to all if I have missed this being posted before by Russell.

CarlL

UshCha

Re: Cold War Scenario booklet anyone?

Post by UshCha » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Not sure on this one, not enough detail to tempt me, while 12 scenarios is fine the fact that some will be too big for my sort of game makes it a poor buy. I would have liked a decent free one to see if the guy has what it takes and is not just a die rolling freak.

granty101

Post by granty101 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:40 am

UshCha wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:27 pm
I would have liked a decent free one
I think you're being a bit harsh Brian. If you can do better, write something!!! :evil: (And preferably for publication in the SOTCW Journal)

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:13 pm

UshCha wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:27 pm
Not sure on this one, not enough detail to tempt me, while 12 scenarios is fine the fact that some will be too big for my sort of game makes it a poor buy. I would have liked a decent free one to see if the guy has what it takes and is not just a die rolling freak.
You're in luck. The full-size preview from Wargame Vault includes the first scenario, Opening Shots: https://www.wargamevault.com/product/10 ... t-Wargames

Plus, Journal 78 includes two of the scenarios: Race for the Leine and Zirinski's Crossroads.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:43 am

OUCH :roll:

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 pm

I can add that the author ... Mr Russell P., is not a freak.... from personal experience of meeting him.... mind dice rolling maybe.......

CarlL

Nice OUCH Mr bannockburn bhoy.....

UshCha

Post by UshCha » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:50 am

Lost me on the first Page, the map. Really little thought has gone into this booklet.

1) No scale to the map. Pointless without it.
2) No definition of road width or whether they have hedges walls and or ditches all of which are critical and would effect the balance of the scenario.
2) No definition of strength of houses, wood brick, stone, cellars or not not.
3) Providing contours is a bit pointless we all know we can't achieve real heights. Would have been better to have put crest lines in so we could get the similar views from a lower hill system. Otherwise all the work is left to the buyer.

All in all not a useful book.

You can't scale that for diferent figure scales. At 1/144 I would guess that the map may still be bigger than a 8 by 6 at 1mm=1m. If you are using ITV you would hope they would be beyond 2000m from the action. So the map may be several km across, that woulkd be useless to me.

At best its a vauge hint at a scanario but basically not worth the effefort as non of the detailed planning and definition has been done. May as well write your own. Shame really as a few ready to use scenarios would be usefull. I would rather have paid $2.99 foir one thought out scenario than 12 none starter ones.

granty101

Post by granty101 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:05 pm

UshCha wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:50 am
May as well write your own.
Well stop your f**king whinging and do it!!! :evil:

You're another one who comes onto this forum and just f**king whinges!!!

Moan!! Moan!! Moan!! ...is that all you can do?? :evil:

Grant

P.S. I will offer no apology for my comments, so if I get banned from this forum, so be it!! :evil:

UshCha

Post by UshCha » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:25 pm

I feel that you lack some self control. I made the comments as I would not like folk to think that they were buying a usable set of scenarios. I have in the past bought skirmish games scenarios and they have been much more complete and usable without effort.
Your loss of self control is disappointing. Constructive criticism should not a cause of such a display.

granty101

Post by granty101 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:08 pm

UshCha wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:25 pm
Constructive criticism should not a cause of such a display.
Personally, I have great self control, and personally, I don't think you've offered any 'constructive criticism'...you've just offered criticism. So, as I have previously stated, if you can do any better, do it!!

Grant