Prevalence of command vehicles

Discussion around the Second World War.
Phil_Gray_260

Prevalence of command vehicles

Post by Phil_Gray_260 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:05 pm

So... I'm sense checking the command units I have (or should have) to field Barbarossa era Soviet Rifle, Motorised, and Tank HQs from Battalion to Division or Corps level, and the equivalent for German infantry and Panzer units.

I'm working in 6mm and deploying a single stand for an HQ, usually depicting two models... as per the post in the FB group today.

At what level should I expect to see Opel Blitz or Zis/ Gaz Office trucks?

I believe the KPzBfW I had been repurposed by the time of the invasion, and the PzIII variant either had a frame aerial or additional regular antennae?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

bannockburn bhoy

Re: Prevalence of command vehicles

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:37 pm

From what I can tell Phil not below Division level for the Germans ,they had a plethora of other types of command vehicles throughout their service arms at the lower levels of organisation. There is always the exception , I remember reading Rommel captured 3 or 4 British command offices (AEC) together with their attendant Generals. He distributed these about his forces ,the vehicles ,not the Generals :D .

Many moons ago I had a 1/300 Russian Rifle Corps and had a command truck in the Corps HQ organisation ,but I cant recall the specifics ,sorry. Happy hunting. cheers John

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:49 am

Honestly not a clue as far as Soviet communications are concerned?

But I do remember the Soviets did NOT have supply units and field kitchens below the regimental level to prevent men drifting away from their platoons/companies and gathering at such places.

The theory being, if a soldier wanted supplies and food he had to stay at his post! And if you allowed soldiers places of relative comfort they would by nature try and get to those places and stay as long as possible...........
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Phil_Gray_260

Post by Phil_Gray_260 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks 8-)

I have found some answers at Niehorster (http://www.niehorster.org/index.htm), and others in Bob Mackenzies oop guides to Soviet and Axis Eastern Front forces - its designed for Spearhead/ Command Decision, but as I'm gaming one level up (Field of Battle WW2 elements are companies rather than the platoons found in SH/ CD) this is not an issue ;)

So now I have a bunch of Horsch field cars and Kubelwagens to go alongside the existing Opel office bodies and motorcycle combos, and (for the Soviets) a few of the H&R French staff cars, and a bunch of the 6 figure command strips (Officer officering with map, officering without map, Signaller with radio/ field telephone) to go along with the GAZ bus bodies (Scotia), office, workshop and fueller bodies (GHQ), covered truck and paint conversion motorcycle combos (H&R).

So...

What am I going to use? Something which is close to accurate and also visually distinctive.

At Battalion level:
German infantry are on foot.
German motorised infantry have a field car (Horch) and mc combo (Panzer Grenadiers are thing of the future for my Wehrmacht)
German Panzers have a panzer and an mc combo
Soviet Rifles are on foot (2 figures)
Soviet Motorised rifles might have a truck and an mc combo
Soviet tanks may have a tank, fuel truck or recovery tractor and an mc combo

At Regimental level
German infantry get a field car (KW)
German motorised infantry get an extra field car (KW)
Geran panzers replace the tank with an office body truck
Soviet rifles have more guys on foot (3 figures)
Soviet motor rifles get a car in place of a truck
Soviet tanks replace the tank with an office body truck

At Divisional level
Germans get an office body truck and field car
Soviet rifles get more guys on foot (4 figures)
Soviet motor rifles and tanks get an office body truck and an extra mc combo

At some point I will post pictures.

Regards

Phil

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sun May 05, 2019 10:52 pm

Sounds like a plan Phil...lets see those pics please. cheers John

Phil_Gray_260

Post by Phil_Gray_260 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:12 pm

"Pictures? We don't need no sti.., oh hang on, that's badges..."

This and more can be found in the 6mm Barbarossa album on the Society page on Facebook

As I may have mentioned before, The Works occasionally sell bags of wooden hexes... the HQs are based on the medium sized bases, fighting units on the larger sized.

What you see above is part of a Soviet Tank Division circa June 23 1941 (at one base is a company for Field of Battle WW2)

Still working out how to apply unit IDs to them.
[*]Some bases have slivers of magnetic tape at the back - the idea is to have handy magnetic labels that can be changed from scenario to scenario.
[*]I'm toying with sticking a staple to the back as more secure than the tape and a possible handle, as the label will stick to that too
[*]Or... no labels. But coloured beads... in an approximation of the pre-war Soviet 'system' of coloured bands on the turrets of some tanks... two beads, the colour sequence and combination of which indicates 1st through 5th higher and lower formations (in my case Regiment and Battalion colours) and maybe adding a third bead to indicate the company number

Models-wise everything but the workshop-bodied truck, which is GHQ, and (I think) the AA gun top left of shot (which might be Scotia) are Heroics & Ros

Will post more (Soviet and German types) as and when.

Regards

Phil