Flammpanzers in Berlin 1945

Discussion around the Second World War.
dadlamassu

Flammpanzers in Berlin 1945

Post by dadlamassu » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:16 am

I have finished reading "Berlin Dance of Death" by Helmut Altner. In it he mentions "Waffen SS flamethrower tanks" several times. At first I thought that it might be a typo or a mistranslation. Then towards the end of the book he describes the thin (metal) sooty barrel and the fuel residue burning off. So I searched all my books and on the internet. I also searched the Axis History Forum and found lists of AFVs in Berlin by unit but none mention flamethrower tanks. Martin Block on "Feldgrau" gives a list of PzIII in service on 1 Jan 1945 (dies not include any in the Ersatzheer) https://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6256. From I can find all of the Flammpanzer 38(t) were in the west with PanzerFlammKompanie 352 and 353 I know that some tank regiments had a platoon of flamethrower tanks. Or maybe they were not tanks at all and were Sdkfz 251/16.

If someone who has Thomas L. Jentz & Hilary Doyle - Flammpanzer: German Flamethrowers 1941-1945 could check if any mention is made of FlammPanzers in Berlin I would be grateful. Please do not expend too much effort as is curiosity rather than research.

bannockburn bhoy

Re: Flammpanzers in Berlin 1945

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:44 am

Hi Alan The only unit that I know had them and fought in Berlin was the SS Pz Grenadier Division Nordland.
it had one Pz III Flamm Ausf. M. There is a unit photo of it in Spreewald before they were deployed to Berlin but I cant remember the source. This unit also had 2 x Heavy Artillery Btns comprised of captured Russian SU 152,s.
Source may have been by Oberst Wilhelm Willemer ,who gives an excellent account of the battle ,in particular the horrendous fate of the Volkssturm units. cheers John

Hi Alan The two Btns of Heavy Arty were in fact attached to the 408 Volks Artillerie Corps and may well have been towed arty and not SP :oops: . The reference does distinguish a further unit of Heavy Arty as being towed ,that's why I made the assumption. However on reflection it seems unlikely ,but is possible.

bannockburn bhoy

Re: Flammpanzers in Berlin 1945

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:27 pm

Pz Division Munchenberg were also issued with 3 x PZ III,s 2 x Ausf N & 1 x Ausf M , cant see whether they had them in Berlin or not , perhaps worth looking into . cheers John