Barbarossa.net

Discussion around the Second World War.
Phil_Gray_260

Barbarossa.net

Post by Phil_Gray_260 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:50 am

Found while looking for a quick headcount on the Slovak Fast Division, a series of books on the structure of forces involved in the Barbarossa campaign - both as planned and as (insofar as is available) actually in use, appears to cover land and air, regular armed forces (Heer, RKKA) and irregular armed forces (Waffen SS and NKVD for example), with info on reinforcing units too.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

ToE rosters that build up from the squad count in a platoon to the total for a Division, and OoB info to put thedivision in yhe right place too. Sideways examinations of aspects of the fighting (Spoiler - the author does not believe the T34 was some kind of wonder tank).

Its a multi volume work in progress available via Lulu for print on demand, the first four books - an introduction to ghe project, two volumes on the Germans and thd first of two on the Soviets, are available, there are four planned additions to come - second volume on the Soviets, a volume for Axis allies, volume looking at relative combat values and a wrap up volume...

The page count is high, the ToE seem to be excel based, there are sample pdfs available on site. Pricing is not for the faint hearted.

Rumblestrip

Re: Barbarossa.net

Post by Rumblestrip » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:30 pm

Phil_Gray_260 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:50 am
Found while looking for a quick headcount on the Slovak Fast Division...
I like the cut of your jib! Check the Gyorshadtest for me while you're there!
Phil_Gray_260 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:50 am
Pricing is not for the faint hearted.
Yes I've come across it before and it looks impressive and I want to be 'in'...but who's got the time and money? Also I'm concerned that he can't get the English right on his blog (the belligerent's forces, rational for rationale) so what chance his books? So I would be a prime potential customer and I'm very hesitant.

Cheers
Andrew
¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!

Phil_Gray_260

Re: Barbarossa.net

Post by Phil_Gray_260 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:42 pm

I'd thought about asking my local library to consider adding it to their acquisition list but... as they'e currently facing the possibility of replacing their staff with a keypad to control access and cctv to remotely monitor activity and offer assistance I'm not sure they're looking to acquire much... and it is a kind of a niche approach to a niche subject too...