The continuing story of my book...

Discussion around the Second World War.
Rumblestrip

The continuing story of my book...

Post by Rumblestrip » 14 Mar 2018, 12:32

All
Some of you may recall that I have written a book of scenarios called 'Grey Steel, Red Storm' (indeed some of you have bought it - thank you very much). I managed to make the PDF available through Wargame Vault just before Christmas.

More or less continuously since then I have been investigating the very dark arts of printing and after about 6-8 weeks of almost constant tinkering I have actually managed to produce a PDF File acceptable to Wargame Vault for them to be able to print a hard copy of the book.

It's not perfect, but the imperfections are minor (things on odd numbered pages which should only ever be on even numbered pages). It's strange the conventions in printing that you never knew were there until you print a book which contravenes them!

I've asked Pete to make a discount link available in the Members' Only section, which I am sure he'll do sometime shortly. So, if there are some die hards out there who just don't like PDFs, you can now get a real, physical book at a discount of $1.50. According to my PC, the discount makes the price around £6.76. Watch out for P&P however - my sample proof cost about £5.50 p&p.

I don't expect to sell many and, in the end, I think I only persevered with making the hard copy available (it was a remarkably frustrating experience) at the insistence of my wife, who decided she wanted a copy for her birthday(!) :? and so that my mother could leave it on the coffee table when neighbours come around. :D

Cheers

Andrew

PS Now writing another one - a campaign system for the initial 15 weeks of Op Barbarossa. Any ideas for titles? How about current working title of Barbarossa Redux
¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!

Richard B.

Re: The continuing story of my book...

Post by Richard B. » 14 Mar 2018, 14:24

Well done mate :D

I have to admit the frustrations with my Rif War Guide has all but killed my writing/publishing interest.

I wish you loads of success :)
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Seret

Post by Seret » 14 Mar 2018, 15:38

Rumblestrip wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 12:32
a campaign system for the initial 15 weeks of Op Barbarossa. Any ideas for titles?
How about "It seemed like a good idea at the time..."?

Rumblestrip

Post by Rumblestrip » 14 Mar 2018, 16:26

Richard B. wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 14:24
Well done mate :D

I have to admit the frustrations with my Rif War Guide has all but killed my writing/publishing interest.

I wish you loads of success :)
Thanks Richard. Writing the thing was dead easy compared to formatting it.

Oh and perhaps it's worth pointing out that if anyone is tempted by this and is going to WMMMS this weekend you might want to put off purchasing til after the show.

I can't guarantee it at the moment, but I should be there with a limited number of copies (all with a corner tastefully creased by WV's poor packaging) selling for £8 each, which is basically the same as the discount but you don't pay P&P.
Cheers

Andrew

Rumblestrip

Post by Rumblestrip » 14 Mar 2018, 16:28

Seret wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 15:38
Rumblestrip wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 12:32
a campaign system for the initial 15 weeks of Op Barbarossa. Any ideas for titles?
How about "It seemed like a good idea at the time..."?
Indeed...it would serve as a comment on the hubris of writing a wargames campaign system as well as comment on the operation itself.

However little too long..

Cheers
Andrew

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 14 Mar 2018, 17:16

Barbarossa , Baltic to Black Sea.

Rumblestrip

Post by Rumblestrip » 14 Mar 2018, 19:09

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 17:16
Barbarossa , Baltic to Black Sea.
...by bannockburn bhoy...all the letter bs :)

Not quite sure about it but there's something there...Baltic and Black Seas...

Andrew

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 15 Mar 2018, 09:56

I thought it might form the basis Andrew ,good luck with it in any case.

Seret

Post by Seret » 15 Mar 2018, 11:58

Rumblestrip wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 16:28
However little too long..
Something shorter?

"Hold my beer": the traditional announcement made before doing anything really stupid.

cartfc

Post by cartfc » 15 Mar 2018, 19:14

Looks good. Now where do I find the password for the members only area, given that I am a member!?

Fred.