Rules that suit 10mm

Discussion around the Second World War.
Dave Knight

Rules that suit 10mm

Post by Dave Knight »

I am considering acquiring a couple of 10mm WW2 forces in 2018. I really like the look of a lot of the Pendraken stuff. I have not given it a lot of thought but was wondering if anyone else dabbled in this scale and if so are there any suggestions on rules.
Seret

Re: Rules that suit 10mm

Post by Seret »

You're going to have to narrow the field a bit there mate, just about anything could be played with 10mm figures. Granted it wouldn't be very practical for platoon-level skirmish stuff where one figure is one man, but I know nutters who play those games in 6mm.

I'd say 10mm would be suitable for anything from company up to division scale. If you've not bought anything yet then you've not based it so you've got complete freedom about what sort of game you play.

Ultimately though, the main thing that I think affects the games we play is the availability of opponents. What do the people you'd be roping in to play the games have? What do they play? Have you or them got any terrain in 10mm? It's all very well you buying a load of 10mm and a rulebook, but if you've not got any opponents it'll just gather dust.
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Treat yourself to an old version of BKC (Blitzkrieg Commander)

Version 1 was good fun and straight forward.

Version 2 took out many earlier options, but added AT / AP distinction which was good, but addded other ideas which I cant say I thought added greatly to game.

Either of these make good fast playable game and I have used with my 10mm Russians and Hungarians (but also with my 1/300 WW2 from old WRG rules days and with my 20mm figures from Rapid Fire play!)

I bought BKC3 recently but havent used it and heard it has taken lot of stick not least for being badly written. So treat yourself and buy an old BKC set on web or at game show and probably get yourself a good deal. Each version had all the rules and all the army lists in one booklet great idea and had options like scenarios to try (well in versions 1 and 2).

CarlL
Dave Knight

Post by Dave Knight »

I am pretty open as to what rule sets/ overall scale of battle but wouldn't want individually based figures in 10mm more likely to use 28mm for that.

My idea was to get 2 sides - I am sure I could get people at my local club to give anything a go . Thanks for the recommendation for BKC
Gary

Post by Gary »

Rapid Fire would work in 10mm.......use stands of figures to represent squads rather than individual larger scale figures......similar for afv's too.
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."
Ian Shaw

Post by Ian Shaw »

Battlegroup would be fine, also BKC depending on what you want to do. I have single based figures - on old board game counters, and multi based ones as well. I wouldn't;'t use rapid fire, but that is personal, likewise I'd avoid bolt action. You should be able to use Chain of Command. Basically when basing for figures where there is single figure removal base most on muliti's with enough singles as "change".

IanS
Anything bigger than 6 is TOOOO big.
Seret

Post by Seret »

Battleground is ok, I also like the look of Rommel although I've not managed to get a game in yet. Avoid FoW, and I didn't like BKC either. It's essentially "warmaster with tanks" and I found BKC/CWC played quite generically and lacked the "feel" of they period or the size of battle it was representing.
Rumblestrip

Post by Rumblestrip »

Slightly curious about this thread, as this isn't a question I would ask. The size of the figure seems to me to be largely immaterial. Surely most rules can be made to work with most figures. They may be more or less suited to a figure size but (probably) 3mm-15mm or even 20mm can all be adapted to them?

So the questions for me (having decided that 10mm was a scale in which I wished to invest) would be what level of combat do I wish to represent? and what rules mechanisms am I interested in using or what things do I enjoy in my games?

With 10mm the following rules immediately occur to me as possible contenders depending on the answers to those questions.

A stand as a man or a vehicle - Bolt Action, Chain of Command
A stand as a squad or a vehicle - the appropriate FiveCore series from Nordic Weasel or WRG 1925-1950 (I think), I Ain't Been Shot Mum, Tiger,Tiger Burning Bright
A stand as a platoon - Spearhead (obviously the best choice ;) ), BKCII, A Fistful of TOWs, Command Decision: Test of Battle, FiveCore: Brigade Commander, Kampfgruppe Commander, Combat HQ, Rapid Fire, Tac II
A stand as a company - Rommel, Lightning War, Weltkrieg, probably Rapid Fire again, the rules I wrote which I still haven't playtested available on the forum (!)
A stand as a battalion - Megablitz, Not Quite Mechanised

I am not saying I recommend all these, or, indeed, have experience of all of them, but it might give you somewhere to look once you know what you're trying to represent, particularly if you then winnow of the choice by ruling out a mechanism or deciding that Command and Control is the most important thing that you want to simulate or that volume of tanks is an important feature.

Finally, this thread makes me wonder whether it is possible/worthwhile for the Society to pool its knowledge of this stuff into a single place, as the question of what rules are 'best' seems to come up quite a lot. I would propose a place on the forum or the website where a master document (covering such things as scale, key mechanics, emphasis of rules, weaknesses of same etc) is available for all of us to add comments concerning those rules with which we are familiar. I am happy to do a first draft of such a table - starting with the listing I just presented above.

So, is that worthwhile and, if so, perhaps Pete or Russ could comment on the cleverest technical solution to what I am suggesting?

Cheers

Andrew
¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!
Dave Knight

Post by Dave Knight »

I have no problem with strange ;)

My approach is probably different to most here.

I enjoy wargaming. I rely on rules writers to do the hard work of deciding what is being represented and how to portray it on a wargames table. I like games that flow well, look good and make sense to me.

For most periods I stick to one scale for land war. However for 20th/21st Century gaming I decided to go 28mm for skirmish and 10mm for larger affairs. 10mm looks much better to me on the table when there are a number of vehicles involved. I just find 6mm too fiddly.

I don't believe in 'best' rules. Most that get published will give a decent game. I merely wondered what fellow SOTCW forum members have used that would look good in 10mm and that worked well for them.

I suppose I really just want to push some tanks around and throw some dice
SOTCW799

Post by SOTCW799 »

I use Battlefront from Fire and Fury for 6mm but use the 15mm scale for movement and ranges, they are designed for 6mm/15mm/20mm but are adaptable for most scales. The scale is one infantry base is a section, a vehicle/gun is 2-3 real vehicles.They have a website to back up the rules.
http://www.fireandfury.com/