Re: Op Hercules - Malta '42

Post by David Reasoner »

Fire-at-Will wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 06:49 Thanks for the translation
Indeed. Thank you!

David
billk

Post by billk »

Well, after much reading about Herkules and even more discussion, the group has decided to resurrect and refresh a Crete game run by one of the guys a long time ago in a galaxy, oh, wait, wrong genre.

All of our reading and research left us much better informed about Herkules and Malta, and we're all better for it, but re-working and playing Crete was just as appealing to the majority of the group (and they already have everything amongst themselves). Thanks to Russell's recent book, there was even a momentary pause to discuss whether Madagascar was of interest to the group as a project.

Many thanks to all those who provided input to our research effort.
Last edited by billk on 01 Jun 2021, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Glad to have been able to help out a bit. All three options (Malta, Crete, and Madagascar) can make for very interesting games. My brother and I, with help from a couple of other local gamers, ran a very successful Maleme game at Nashcon way back in 1999. I also helped provide a few of the guns and vehicles, and some of the "French" naval vessels for former forum member Chris Mikucki's excellent Antsirane scenario for Little Wars 2013:

https://testofbattle.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... 9fad7ed010

David
billk

Post by billk »

Hey David, small world. I pinged Chris awhile back and got a copy of his OB and saved this same link. I sent the OB and link to a former member of our wargaming group, who now lives out in Virginia, and he is likely going to work-up a Madagascar game. I also sent him a heads-up about Russell's book.

Thanks for suggesting the link... and for anyone who is interested, the game pics and AAR at the provided link are worth a look-see.
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Small world indeed. Unfortunately I haven't been in contact with Chris since late 2016, when I assisted him with researching Japanese airborne and Dutch orders of battle for the Palembang, Sumatra operation of 14 February 1942. A really great guy that I very much enjoyed conversing with online. A couple of old Moonlite Modelwerks items were created in direct response to his ideas, including the Vickers-Maxim 2.95" mountain gun and the U.S. 1941 Ford 1G8T medium truck, which both debuted in his "Battle of the Points" Bataan game at Historicon 2009. Admittedly the rather obscure Ford 1G8T was an odd choice on my part, being much rarer than the later 2G8T (aka Ford G8T or "Ford 6"), but Chris wanted some "non GMC deuce-and-a-half" American trucks suitable for the Philippines, and with time being of the essence I came up with something plausible using existing "off the shelf" molds and castings.

David
billk

Op Hercules now a wandering thread...

Post by billk »

David, guess I'll hijack my own thread here... so its Palembang you say?!
This link will take you to a great looking Palembang game layout.

http://20thcenturywargames.blogspot.com ... -1942.html

At one point I almost went down the CBI-Pacific rabbit hole. Fortunately I stayed focused on my '43 Tunisia and '44 France stuff because shortly thereafter is when I decided to reconstitute my 28mm American Indian Wars game collection.
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Great link Bilk.
Lovely tabletop and game report. I like your Dutch conversions (Romanian helmeted heads onto to French bodies!) and the Dutch Constabulary!! What did you use for those guys! They look very conspicuous in Blue uniforms and White helmets! (Bit like my British bobbies for 1938 Very British Civil War, although mine weren't any conversion so just a paint job).
Thanks for sharing the game report.
CarlL
billk

Post by billk »

@CarlL.. wish I could claim the Palembang game was mine, but, alas, it isn't.