Interesting secondary armament - Tiger I

Discussion around the Second World War.
dadlamassu

Interesting secondary armament - Tiger I

Post by dadlamassu »

Found this picture when looking for something else. Interesting from two points of view:
1. the addition of two Soviet MMGs on the rear deck (or are they just being transported?)
2. the MMGs appear to be the relatively rare DS-39

CarlL

Re: Interesting secondary armament - Tiger I

Post by CarlL »

Alan

Do we know the context of the photo? Like date and area of the Eastern front? I suppose the unit number, 211, is clear enough but not sure if that helps identify place or date, given use of 'battlegroups' to combat breaches on Eastern Front. Are the German tankers wearing 'fore and aft' style caps that might date uniforms to early in the introduction of the Tiger I, on Eastern Front?

Are these Russian prisoners (who look well clad ... ) on the left of the Tiger? They carry no arms, but seem to be unguarded, although there could be a gun or two trained on them from the view point of the camera-'man'. If being used as self defence by Tiger I, I would expect to see some German / Axis troops manning them.

Looks like another Tiger I ahead of them on the track but carrying individuals. (I am not sure if magnifying the image would tell us if its carrying prisoners or German / Axis personnel.)

Interesting detective job.
CarlL
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Interesting photo, but are we sure the guns aren't the much more common SG-43 Goryunov?

David
dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

David Reasoner wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 20:00 Interesting photo, but are we sure the guns aren't the much more common SG-43 Goryunov?

David
Nope, not sure that's why I said "appear to be" as these ones have the chunky barrel more like the DS-39 and lack the external ring of the barrel quick change handle on the SG-43.

I found the picture on Pintrest in 3 places one with no provenance, one "Tiger Tank from the 501st Heavy Tank Battalion passing a group of Soviet prisoners, 1944", one "A column of German tanks Pz.E “Tiger” heavy tank battalion passes by a group of Soviet prisoners of war. German soldiers and Tigers from Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 defending Narva…Tiger I “211” from s PzAbt 501". So you can take your choice though if at Narva then sPz Abt 502 is most likely.
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

dadlamassu wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 23:01 Nope, not sure that's why I said "appear to be" as these ones have the chunky barrel more like the DS-39 and lack the external ring of the barrel quick change handle on the SG-43.
Well, after saving a copy of the pic and looking at it under magnification, I think you are right. The barrels do look tapered, like the DS-39, but not the SG-43. I should have taken a closer look before commenting. :oops:

David