Did I imagine it?

Discussion around the Second World War.
dadlamassu

Did I imagine it?

Post by dadlamassu »

Old age is catching up with me (again I hear you say). I have a vague memory of seeing somewhere photo of a Kubelwagen fitted out as a panzerjager with a mounting for several Panzerschrecks.

Can I find it now? No. Is that because I imagined it or have I confused it with the Jeep fitted with bazookas, or the Panzerjager Bren 731(e)?

Imagination, bad memory or did it exist?
ianrs54

Re: Did I imagine it?

Post by ianrs54 »

Not seen one myself, but given German situation in 44/45 its well within the bounds of possibility
Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Alan,
admit it, you have got so much stuff to sort through and your filing is lagging behind.... ;)
Sorry, I cant help you with that one, but hopefully you will find it (soon).

unlike me, who still hasn't found the Tumbling Dice artillery crew in trench coats and fur hat that I painted just before lockdown and put away safe till I painted their mountain gun up...... gun is ready to go, but can I find those crew figures nope. Luckily I didn't lose the rest of that Russian force destined to assist my small Dunsterforce!!
CarlL
dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

Ian, you are probably correct. I have pictures of all sorts of vehicles from bikes to trucks festooned with troops carrying panzerfausts. Found 2 vehicles that have Panzerschrecks fitted - Bren carrier and panzerjager Wanze, the rest have the Panzerschreck carried by the troops who presumably dismount to shoot.
The Panzerjager Bren is interesting as its designation implies that the Panzerschrecks are mounted for firing and they appear fixed to the vehicle without a mounting or pivot.

Carl, you are also correct I have literally thousands of (digital) photos stored on several disks and hard drives.

Before lockdown I put aside some figures to convert to Volkssturm. They are definitely AWOL, so like their real life progenitors they may have gone home!

Almost 20 years ago I read in one of my books on Berlin (1945) that the author met a senior officer who was in a 2-seat light armoured vehicle which he called a "Hexer". Despite internet, book and library searches I can find to trace of it as an official or unofficial designation. So it may be a unit or area nickname (or something he made up when dictating his story or even a spelling mistake or typo). When I eventually get around to having a "Hexer" I may use a captured Dingo or a Kfz 13 or something else that I can find that is a bit out of the ordinary. One thing it is not is a Hetzer.