Command Decision troop ratings

Discussion around the Second World War.
Counterpane

Command Decision troop ratings

Post by Counterpane »

Hi All!

After a long time away from the rules I've recently got back into playing WW2 battles with the TacWW2 rules (where one base represents a platoon).

I'm finding Bob Mackenzie's scenarios (as mirrored on the SOTCW site) really fun to play but it would be helpful to have a proper guide to the morale/experience grades from Command Decision that Bob uses.

Like CD, TacWW2 distinguishes between morale (Shaky, Poor, Normal, Good, and Excellent IIRC) and tactical competence (a numerical scale from 8 = worst to 4 = best). Can someone explain to me the equivalent ranges for CD?

Cheers

Richard C
Counterpane

Re: Command Decision troop ratings

Post by Counterpane »

Ah, I think I'm getting there! It looks like the five Tac grades in TacWW2 (from best to worst):

4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8

Are equivalent to the six written descriptors in CD:

Elite > Veteran > Experienced > Regular > Trained > Green.

Whilst the TacWW2 written descriptors for morale:

Excellent > Good > Average > Poor > Shaky

Are equivalent to a number of numerical values in CD. I'm guessing something like 6 = the worst up to 10 = the best? If anyone knows I'd be grateful to hear.

Richard C
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

I've been using Command Decision since 1989, but am not at all familiar with TacWW2, and am not really sure what you are looking for. So, here is a scan of the page dealing with Troop Quality from the current Test of Battle version of the rules. Hopefully, it will give some idea of how the ratings are intended to be applied, although many here will find the examples given rather American-centric. The average unit would typically be Regular, with a Morale rating of 8 in most cases.

David
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Beat me too it David, i was going to scan this tomorrow :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
Counterpane

Post by Counterpane »

Thanks David. That enables me to make a more educated guess as to a reasonable Tac (tactical competence) score for each unit.

I’d be interested to see the equivalent for morale grade if that’s possible. Or even just confirmation of the top and bottom values.

Richard C
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Counterpane wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 08:44 Thanks David. That enables me to make a more educated guess as to a reasonable Tac (tactical competence) score for each unit.

I’d be interested to see the equivalent for morale grade if that’s possible. Or even just confirmation of the top and bottom values.

Richard C
Morale grades typically run from 6 for very poor units to 10 for the best or most motivated troops. As I mentioned 8 is about average. Note that although in Command Decision Veteran or Experienced troops will often also have high morale, it is also entirely possible to see a war-weary but Experienced unit with a morale grade of 7. Or a unit with minimal training but very high elan might be rated Trained, Morale 8 or even 9 depending on the scenario.

David