Secure the Flank! (adapted)

Discussion around the Second World War.
billk

Secure the Flank! (adapted)

Post by billk »

As some of you who frequent TWF might have noticed, I've posted pics and AARs of a developing WWII game system where stands equal platoons. Really liking Richard's recent AAR for Secure the Flank, I thought I'd see if I could adapt the scenario for use by players who have miniatures based for the stand equals platoon level of play. Here goes...

Secure the Flank! (Adapted)

This scenario is an adaptation, to stand-equals-platoon scale, of Richard Baber’s original Secure the Flank scenario published in Miniature Wargames #242, June 2003, and revised by Richard in 2021. The scenario is played-out on a 5-foot x 7-foot board. The village of Raon-l`Etape consists of three 6-inch x 6-inch urban squares adjacent to each other in a two plus one configuration. Adjustments have been made to force structures so both sides retain relative combat strength on-par with the original balance.

Additional References:
When the Odds Were Even by Keith Bonn, Penguin Random House Publishing
https://garahanhistory.com/4-the-battle ... nd-beyond/
http://www.marshallfoundation.org/100th ... mpaign.pdf
https://www.marshallfoundation.org/100t ... n-WWII.pdf (excellent map of the Low Vosges battle area)
https://www.lonesentry.com/gi_stories_b ... index.html
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/US ... ra-22.html (start page 392.)
also of possible interest: 117th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron WWII historical record - https://mcoepublic.blob.core.usgovcloud ... RS_Ops.pdf

Secure the Flank, Game One: Seizing the Bridge

In mid-November 1944, American forces are attempting to force passage through a narrow valley in the Low Vosges Mountains. Allied Intelligence believes the Germans maintain armored reserves near Blamont and have identified the village of Raon-l`Etape, with its solid stone bridge spanning the Meurthe River, as a key terrain feature.

American Orders: Your composite Task Force, including elements of a Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron and an Armored Infantry Battalion, will rapidly seize and then hold the stone bridge in Roan-l`Etape and prevent the enemy from using the bridge and threatening the 12th Armored Division’s flank. You will be relieved by the 397th Infantry Regiment. Once the 397th arrives and secures the bridge, you have completed your mission and will move to link-up with headquarters for follow-on orders.

American OB
TF HQ
1x Command M20 S.C. Stand w/FO

Light Tank Company (-)
1x Command M5 Tank Stand
1x M5 Tank Stand

2 Armored Rifle Companies (-) (ea)
1x Command Infantry Platoon Stand w/Bazooka
1x M3 Halftrack w/AAHMG Stand
1x Weapons Stand
2x Infantry Stands w/Bazookas
2x M3 Halftrack w/HMG Stands

*Off-board fire support: Supporting, 1x battery of M4 HTMC 81mm mortars potentially firing on call.

German Orders: Your force, an ad-hoc element of 2nd Abteilung, 553rd Infantry Regiment, will remain dug-in and hold the stone bridge spanning the Meurthe River at Roan-l`Etape. American forces are believed to be operating to the south, near the town of St. Benoit, but the current situation is fluid. A Kampgfgruppe from 2nd Panzer Division is expected to make a spoiling attack into the American flank later today, so you must hold the bridge and keep it open for their use.

German OB
Stab
1x Command Stand w/FO
1x Recon Infantry Stand

Infantry Kompanie
1x Command Infantry Stand w/Panzerfaust
1x Weapons Stand
2x Infantry Stands w/Panzerfausts

Ad-hoc Support Kompanie
1x Weapons Stand
1x Pak 97/38 ATG Stand
1x ATG Gun Crew Stand

*Off-board fire support: Supporting Stab, 2x batteries of 120mm mortars potentially firing
on four turns of the German Commander’s choice.

Game Coordinator Notes: Winds are out of the SW.

Secure the Flank, Game 2: The Counterattack

German Orders: Your Kampfgruppe will attack to disrupt an American build-up around St. Benoit. First, you will clear the village of Raon-l`Etape where elements of the 553rd Infantry were overrun by the enemy, who now occupy the village and control the local bridge. Surviving elements of the 553rd have been allocated to support your attack.

German OB:
Kampfgruppe Schwein (2nd Panzer Division)

Stab
1x Command Stand
1x Sdkfz 250/3 Stand
1x Recon Sdkfz 232 A.C. Stand

Pzrgrenadier Kompanie (-)
1x Command Pzrgrenadier Stand w/Panzerfaust
1x Pzrgrenadier Stand w/Panzerfaust
1x Sdkfz 251/1 Stand

Panzer Kompanie (-)
1x Command Panzer IVH Stand
1x Panzer IVH Stand

2nd Abteilung, 553rd Infantry Regiment (-)
Stab
1x Command Stand
1x Kubelwagon Stand

Infantry Kompanie (-)
1x Command Infantry Stand w/Panzerfaust
1x Infantry Stand

Assault Pioneer Platoon (attached)
1x Assault Pioneer Stand w/Flamethrower

plus remnants of the original Ad-hoc Defense Force from 2nd Abteilung, 553rd Infantry
Regiment. (Whatever forces survived from Game One, placed under control of this Stab.)

*Off-board fire support: Supporting KG Schwein, 2x batteries of 120mm mortars
potentially firing on call.

American Orders: You will move your relief force, consisting of elements from 397th Infantry Regiment, to Raon-l`Etape to relieve a holding force currently in-place. On arrival, you will secure the village, most importantly its bridge, and protect the flank of 12th AD`s advance.

American OB
HQ Company
1x Command Stand w/FO
1x Jeep
1x 57L52 ATG Stand
1x Gun Crew Stand
1x Light truck Stand

Rifle Company
1x Command Infantry Stand w/Bazooka
1x Weapons Stand w/Bazooka
3x Infantry Stands

Combat Engineer Platoon (+) (attached)
1x Command Engineer Stand w/Bazooka
1x Medium Truck Stand w/AAMG
1x Engineer Bulldozer Stand

*Off-board fire support: Organic to 397th, 1x battery of 81mm mortars potentially firing on
call.

Game Coordinator Notes: Winds are out of the SW.

The American Combat Engineers can lay two, 2-inch x 4-inch, mixed mine fields, and dig four emplacements (each having a capacity of a single personnel stand), prior to the German attack.

After completing 6 turns of play, the American Commander roles for reinforcements. A d6 roll of 2-6 and the reinforcements will arrive as planned. On a roll of 1, there are no reinforcements. The d6 role of 2-6 also determines how many turns until the reinforcements arrive.

12th AD Reinforcements
HQ
1x Command Stand w/FO
1x Infantry Stand w/Bazooka
1x M3 Halftrack w/AAHMG

Medium Tank Platoon
1x M4 Tank Stand

Armored Infantry Company (-)
1x Command infantry Stand w/Bazooka
1x Weapons Stand
2x Armored Infantry Stands w/Bazookas
1x M3 Halftrack w/AAHMG Stand
1x M3 Halftrack w/HMG Stand

*Off-board fire support: Supporting 12th AD Reinforcements, 1x battery of 105mm Howitzers
potentially firing on call.
Last edited by billk on 02 Jun 2021, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
CarlL

Re: Secure the Flank! (adapted)

Post by CarlL »

It is always good to see scenarios being adapted to different figure scales.
Well done Bilk.
CarlL
billk

Post by billk »

@CarlL, the rules in development are designed for play with 10mm thru 20mm miniatures and mulitple figures per base.
I game with 20mm because, well, that's the true scale for gaming WWII...
and because my collection for WWII is all 20mm figs and 1/87 equipment;
with the exception of some 1/76-20mm equipment for a specific, skirmishy scenario I am working-up.
I'm interested in hearing what Richard thinks about the adaptation and if he thinks there are hard-and-fast reasons game outcomes would differ significantly.

:)
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

billk wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 17:19 @CarlL, the rules in development are designed for play with 10mm thru 20mm miniatures and mulitple figures per base.
I game with 20mm because, well, that's the true scale for gaming WWII...
and because my collection for WWII is all 20mm figs and 1/87 equipment;
with the exception of some 1/76-20mm equipment for a specific, skirmishy scenario I am working-up.
I'm interested in hearing what Richard thinks about the adaptation and if he thinks there are hard-and-fast reasons game outcomes would differ significantly.

:)
Hi Bill

Your re-write looks fine to me (its been a while since I played Command Decision level style rules).
I see no issues on how it should play out, except for micro managing the action - sections/platoons holding out/forging on against the odds, etc
That may create different results in such a small action.

As an aside i have Keith Bonn`s book sitting within reach very good and an interesting read :)
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Thanks for posting, Bill. The additional references look interesting, and I've downloaded the pdf files for later perusal.

David
billk

Post by billk »

@David, its a smallish scenario for CD, or for the game system we are working on, but you should be able to easily translate my outline for a CD game. Bill