37mm Marine Anti-Char - A Question for Richard B.

Discussion around the Second World War.
David Reasoner

37mm Marine Anti-Char - A Question for Richard B.

Post by David Reasoner »

A quick question for Richard B. regarding the French 37mm Marine Anti-Char ATG. I recall your making a couple of conversions of these from Matchbox 3.7cm PAK several years ago, and building a unit with them for the Tunisian campaign.

Did we ever manage to identify which units were equipped with these, or how they were organized in the field? I think you mentioned 64RAA, but in at least one of your scenarios you list them with U.S. 37mm AT guns. I still have my notes regarding the creation of these guns (IIRC mostly from discussions on the ATF40 forum), but nothing really on their actual employment afterwards.

David
Richard B.

Re: 37mm Marine Anti-Char - A Question for Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

David Reasoner wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 21:40 A quick question for Richard B. regarding the French 37mm Marine Anti-Char ATG. I recall your making a couple of conversions of these from Matchbox 3.7cm PAK several years ago, and building a unit with them for the Tunisian campaign.

Did we ever manage to identify which units were equipped with these, or how they were organized in the field? I think you mentioned 64RAA, but in at least one of your scenarios you list them with U.S. 37mm AT guns. I still have my notes regarding the creation of these guns (IIRC mostly from discussions on the ATF40 forum), but nothing really on their actual employment afterwards.

David
Hi David, I hope this finds you and the family well?

At Hir Moussa during the German Eilbotel offensive in January `43 I have notes that they had some AC de marine there as part of the French XIX Corps reserve

Compagnie “F” de 37 AC de Marine with 2 x 37mm guns with crews & tows - I`m assuming a gun section of 2 pieces part of a 4-gun battery/compagnie?

Some French units had been gifted with US 37mm weapons and this is what you might have read in another scenario (El-Kebir Reservoir maybe?)

I hope this helps :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Thanks, Richard. I'm finally back to working on 20mm stuff again after a 2+ year hiatus. I've spent the past week or so doing a tidy up of the workbench and in the process have dragged out a couple of boxes of incomplete 20mm projects. One of the projects was a scratchbuilt 37mm MAC with crew figures from several years ago, although I may have to rethink the figures since I didn't give them naval headgear or any other distinguishing features.

David
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

David Reasoner wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 17:22 Thanks, Richard. I'm finally back to working on 20mm stuff again after a 2+ year hiatus. I've spent the past week or so doing a tidy up of the workbench and in the process have dragged out a couple of boxes of incomplete 20mm projects. One of the projects was a scratchbuilt 37mm MAC with crew figures from several years ago, although I may have to rethink the figures since I didn't give them naval headgear or any other distinguishing features.

David
David

I`m glad to hear your getting back into things, it has been far too long mate :)
Here are a couple of images of my batterie, I only gave one gunner a Bachi, but painted one tow van up as naval
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Richard B. wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 14:51 I only gave one gunner a Bachi, but painted one tow van up as naval
Yup, I remember those. I may just leave my existing gunners alone then. I haven't worked out a tow vehicle yet, they may just get a Citroen T23 truck.

David
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

David Reasoner wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 21:48
Richard B. wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 14:51 I only gave one gunner a Bachi, but painted one tow van up as naval
Yup, I remember those. I may just leave my existing gunners alone then. I haven't worked out a tow vehicle yet, they may just get a Citroen T23 truck.

David
I wanted then to look funky :D
billk

Post by billk »

David, good to see you back in the saddle. Look forward to some WIP or completed project posts.

Richard, always like the naval troops in the Bachis. Recall them manning gun emplacments in, what was it, Safi?

Bill
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

billk wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 19:48 David, good to see you back in the saddle. Look forward to some WIP or completed project posts.

Richard, always like the naval troops in the Bachis. Recall them manning gun emplacments in, what was it, Safi?

Bill
Could be - I have a few - naval infantry plus gunners (who were probably at Saafi), a 40mm Bofors and a montee quad 13.2mm (for the desert) and an M10 with 2Dble in NWE :D