Experimenting again with Spearhead and 20mm kit

Discussion around the Second World War.
robinsutton

Re: Experimenting again with Spearhead and 20mm kit

Post by robinsutton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:23 am

Seret wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 am
Out of interest what made you want to try and adapt Spearhead for 20mm? Just had the toys in that scale already and fancied giving the rules a go?

I think you're going the right way though, leave the core rules as they are instead of trying to get a square peg to fit into a round hole. If you find yourself playing the rules a lot and liking them you can always get new armies in a smaller scale.
I have played SH for quite a few years. We use all three sub periods.. WW1, WW2, and Moderns.
Mostly we play in 6mm, and have extensive army collections.

I have always loved 20mm, with collections that date back to the mid 1970s. I also have a couple of gaming friends who are similarly inclined in terms of scale, and I wanted them to enjoy the rules I love. Spearhead is the only rules set for 20th century gaming that I have ever found that matches my paradigm of battles - a specifically personal thing, of course.

Ngā mihi nui
Robin

Seret

Post by Seret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:24 am

robinsutton wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:23 am
I also have a couple of gaming friends who are similarly inclined in terms of scale, and I wanted them to enjoy the rules I love
Fair enough, it's always good to expand your pool of potential opponents. Just seemed a little like you were trying to fit a square peg in a round hole is all. It's been interesting reading how tweak the ground scale affected the game, it kind of proves that old rule-writing maxim: "If you change one thing, you change everything".
granty101 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:55 pm
Robin, I can't see many who frequent this forum being into the Techno, House, Garage or Ootside Netty types of music...but I may be wrong!! :lol:

Grant
I wouldn't be so sure about that Grant. Your scrawny gurning teen or twentysomething of the 90s rave scene will now be a greying middle-aged dad with a beer belly. And if that ain't wargaming's core demographic, I don't know what is!

granty101

Post by granty101 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Seret wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:24 am
I wouldn't be so sure about that Grant. Your scrawny gurning teen or twentysomething of the 90s rave scene will now be a greying middle-aged dad with a beer belly. And if that ain't wargaming's core demographic, I don't know what is!
Well I haven't seen any techno ravers at wargames shows...seen a few people raving, but not to music!! :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Grant
Shall I bring the ghetto blaster to Stockton? We can add nusic to raving .....
CarlL

granty101

Post by granty101 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:54 am

CarlL wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 pm
Grant
Shall I bring the ghetto blaster to Stockton? We can add music to raving .....
CarlL
Carl, I didn't know your Maggie could sing :o ... :lol:

Grant

P.S. I hope she doesn't read this forum, or I'm a dead man!! :lol:
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!