Fort Algiers

Discussion around early wars and conflicts including World War 1
Richard B.

Fort Algiers

Post by Richard B. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Just finished watching Fort Algiers (1953) with Yvonne De Carlo (Lilly Munster) and Raymond Burr (Ironside)
On Talking Movies channel (Virgin 445, Freesat 306, Freeview or Youview 81 or on the Sky digital: channel 343)

Set in a fictional North African French colony where a local emir (Burr) has plans to take control of the areas oil and use its money and influence to get rid of the French and rule the newly created country.

De Carlo is a French fem fatale spy who uses her looks to gain access to the emirs palace and spy on him and his plans, there is also her long lost love interest who joined the Legion "to forget".

The story is OK, the acting so, so, Burr obviously isn`t Arab and De Carlo whilst stunningly beautiful, just isn`t convincing.

But the movie was filmed on location in Morocco and used French troops as extras, so you get to see Moroccan Spahis, Legion cavalry and mule companies plus mountain artillery and, uniforms and other kit - quite cool :D

The film climaxes with an attack by the natives (a massed mounted charge) against the oil filed where the hero, De Carlo and the workers defend with rifles, dynamite mines and thrown nitro filled bottled whilst the legion rides to the rescue.

The final battle would make an interesting one-off game set during the Druss Rebellion in Syria in the 1920s maybe?
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

CarlL

Re: Fort Algiers

Post by CarlL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks for posting Richard,
interesting review,
one for me to look up,
CarlL

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:22 pm

The film "climaxes" sort yourself out Baber :D

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:57 am

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:22 pm
The film "climaxes" sort yourself out Baber :D
The word is spelt correctly and used in the right context - what did i do............... :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

granty101

Post by granty101 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm

CarlL wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:18 pm
Thanks for posting Richard,
interesting review,
one for me to look up,
CarlL
It's a 50's 'B' movie Carl...so should be right up your street!! :D

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!