Spanish Jupiter class mine-layers

Discussion around early wars and conflicts including World War 1
Richard B.

Spanish Jupiter class mine-layers

Post by Richard B. »

I`ve written a brief reseach article and posted over on the blog:

https://baberonwargames.blogspot.com/20 ... ayers.html
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
David Reasoner

Re: Spanish Jupiter class mine-layers

Post by David Reasoner »

Excellent article, Richard. The Jupiters were fairly successful and long-lived ships. In the 1960's they were re-rated as frigates, and Jupiter and Vulcano were modernized and rearmed with U.S. weapons and radars. The entire class lasted into the 1970's, with Vulcano being the last disposed of, in 1977.

David
Richard B.

Re: Spanish Jupiter class mine-layers

Post by Richard B. »

David Reasoner wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 18:23 Excellent article, Richard. The Jupiters were fairly successful and long-lived ships. In the 1960's they were re-rated as frigates, and Jupiter and Vulcano were modernized and rearmed with U.S. weapons and radars. The entire class lasted into the 1970's, with Vulcano being the last disposed of, in 1977.

David
Hi David

Thank you

Yes, I read all about the later upgrades, but those were outside my period of interest :D

I was pleased to get a positive identification the photo, an interesting find.

I also found a portrait pic of Spanish soldier from the 20th Regiment, he will be my next research project. :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908