the fighting in Sudwestafrika pre WW1 and its results

Discussion around early wars and conflicts including World War 1
CarlL

the fighting in Sudwestafrika pre WW1 and its results

Post by CarlL »

Some years ago, I joined my friends from Crosby Wargames Group, (Richard, Phil, and Martin) on their tour of Ardennes and other 1940 battlefields.
Visiting museums (and village memorials) I realised how the German army (long before the rise of Hitler) had executed so many innocent lives in Belgian villages in two world wars: in one village there were more civilian deaths recorded than those of soldiers as a result of German army presence in 1914, 1940, and again in 1944.
So I suppose I should not be surprised by the atrocities in Sudwestafrika pre WW1 described in this BBC website article at
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57279008
It is a sad story and perhaps the more so that its taken a century to get recognition for this atrocity following the Herero and Nama tribes attempts to regain their traditional lands (and livelihoods) from the German invaders (of what is now Namibia).
CarlL
dadlamassu

Re: the fighting in Sudwestafrika pre WW1 and its results

Post by dadlamassu »

This book is an interesting read. Hermann Goring's father (IIRC) was involved.
Gary

Post by Gary »

The Germans have just agreed to a compensatory scheme with Namibia for the genocide....

As an aside, it strikes me that some of the WW1 propaganda portraying the Germans as a barbaric horde and 'the Hun' , capable of bayonnetting civilians and atrocities wasn't that far fetched or jingoistic as has been made out in more revisionist histories.
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

sadly warfare can bring out the worst in us all (eg Brits giving concentration camps in Boer War, clandestine hit squads in Palestine, and poison gas aerial attacks in Iraq in 1920s to the world), and the best in us, eg in terms of courage and ingenuity and comradeship, etc..
Perhaps we should acknowledge both, condemn some, celebrate some, and bring to light those secrets others try to bury or obscure with propaganda or silence.
CarlL
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Thank you Alan for highlighting this book.
CarlL