help! PLEASE! re Hotchkiss 57mm QF gun

Discussion around early wars and conflicts including World War 1
CarlL

help! PLEASE! re Hotchkiss 57mm QF gun

Post by CarlL »

Hi all - hope you are all keeping safe as covid again ravages the country?

From my modelling bunker, I am trying to model a 20mm scale gun model of the land version of the 57mm / 6pdr QF Hotchkiss gun, for use in Abyssinia at turn of 20th century.

My source for what they look like is a chance find from South Africa see https://www.angloboerwar.com/images/pdf ... 4A-pt3.pdf - the Orange Free State artillery corps, historical study & re-enactment group's study papers; from where I loaned these two images:

1. A sketch of the 57mm / 6pdr QF Hotchkiss, which is said to have appeared before (but resemble) the later 3pdr QF Hotchkiss.
2. see photo probably grainy, of 3pdr Hotchkiss; you will find clearer images on pages 30, 31, 32 of attached magazine. (Contains useful guide to artillery in Boer war as used by both sides.)

Any advice on where to find a model in 20mm or where to start in terms of converting likes of 3pdr to 6pdr?
CarlL
Gary

Re: help! PLEASE! re Hotchkiss 57mm QF gun

Post by Gary »

Strelets do/did an ACW Whitworth 12 per that has the 'look'but is far too large.........so how about a 15mm version?

https://quickreactionforce.co.uk/produc ... ing-rifle/
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."
Gary

Post by Gary »

Just been hunting thru the bits box and have found a couple of pedestals and gun shields......might have to get some for my riverboat!
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Unfortunately, about all I can do is echo Gary's suggestion for converting a 15mm ACW field gun or similar model. The Navweaps entry on the 6pdr Hotchkiss includes figures for overall gun length and bore length, which would be useful in creating the new gun barrel. Also a couple of photos on naval mountings, which may not be much use to you.

http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_6pounder_m1.php

David
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Thank you Gary & David!
Both creative ideas!
CarlL
granty101

Post by granty101 »

CarlL wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 22:51 Thank you Gary & David!
Both creative ideas!
CarlL
Carl

Have you tried one of the 3D Print manufacturers?? It might be an expensive option, but worth looking into?

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Have looked at Irregular Minatures "Really useful guns"? They have all sorts of odd`n sods maybe something you can convert?

Also a German 50mm AT gun without the muzzle break and a bit of trimming around the breach may look the part in 15mm :D you may remember I built these a few yrs back

I am certain planning to do something similar to build a 65mm mle 1896/1902 using a Pak40 :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Lovely work Richard!

I am looking to create two 20mm scale 57mm QF Hotchkiss guns which the Abyssinians deployed in very small numbers.
Currently following Gary & David's suggestions, so will let you all know what comes of this in near future.

CarlL