Now available for pre-order: A Strange Campaign

For manufacturers to announce new model & figure releases. Members can post news of sales and bargains. No reviews.
CarlL

Re: Now available for pre-order: A Strange Campaign

Post by CarlL »

Thats good news Russell.
Hope its a success.
CarlL
Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips »

Thanks Carl.
Russell Phillips
Military history author and SOTCW Treasurer
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Put my order in for large print edition via my local bookshop: hopefully they get a cut as well as Russell for his hard work.
How many objective reviews can we notch up post 5th May?

As an aside
I wondered how much control over maps and images the author has? Your previous posts seemed to imply "not a lot"?
I think poor maps is one of the downfalls of many battle / campaign / war histories.
Another is lack of notes and references to sources. (I recently followed up one quoted source in another history and could not find the quoted source despite there being an online source for this long out of print pictorial newspaper. But at least it gave me a trail to follow.)
CarlL
Russell Phillips

I wondered how much control over maps and images the author has? Your previous posts seemed to imply "not a lot"?
For me, quite the opposite. Because I'm publishing myself, using my own publishing company, I have complete control. For authors going through a publishing house it will depend on the publisher. I suspect it varies, but I don't have first-hand experience.

It can be hard to find the detailed information needed to make a map. I'm happy to say that I'm very pleased with the maps in this book. The person I hired to draw them has done a very good job and the large print ones have been tweaked to work well with large text.

For photos, it can be hard to find ones that can be licensed at an affordable price and are large enough to print.
Another is lack of notes and references to sources.
There are endnotes, and several pages of bibliography, including links where appropriate :)
Russell Phillips
Russell Phillips

CarlL wrote: 01 May 2021, 19:19 (I recently followed up one quoted source in another history and could not find the quoted source despite there being an online source for this long out of print pictorial newspaper. But at least it gave me a trail to follow.)
If it was a link to a page that no longer exists, it might be worth trying the Wayback Machine: https://archive.org/web/
Russell Phillips