Now available for pre-order: A Strange Campaign

For manufacturers to announce new model & figure releases. Members can post news of sales and bargains. No reviews.
Russell Phillips

Now available for pre-order: A Strange Campaign

Post by Russell Phillips »

My next book, about the battle for Madagascar in WWII, is now available to pre-order. It covers the entire campaign, from the initial landings to the final Vichy surrender.

Military history author and SOTCW Treasurer
ianrs54

Re: Now available for pre-order: A Strange Campaign

Post by ianrs54 »

I'd be careful about that un, the author is though to be too accurate :lol:
Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Well done Russell.
CarlL
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Russell

Wow 5th May, 2021 is some way off for publishing date!! (Perhaps not in the publishing world but in the spending/ retail me buying world!)
Besides the binding is there any other difference between the hardback (£11.99p) and the softback (£5.99p)? Just that former is listed as 122 pages and latter as 94pages?

Do all your books sell" indirect" via Amazon or Barnes & Noble? Or do you have a direct sales from Shilka Publishing?
I would rather send my cash to you at Shilka than a cut to Amazon!!

I would like to buy a hardback copy when its available.

CarlL
granty101

Post by granty101 »

Russell Phillips wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 08:51 My next book, about the battle for Madagascar in WWII, is now available to pre-order.
Does it have lots of photographs to accompany the text?...I like photographs :D

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!
Russell Phillips

CarlL wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 16:18Wow 5th May, 2021 is some way off for publishing date!! (Perhaps not in the publishing world but in the spending/ retail me buying world!)
It's common in publishing, but it's the first time I've done a pre-order this far out. It's something of an experiment for me.
CarlL wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 16:18Besides the binding is there any other difference between the hardback (£11.99p) and the softback (£5.99p)? Just that former is listed as 122 pages and latter as 94pages?
The interior isn't finalised yet, but the paperback, hardback, and ebook will all have the exact same content. The formatting will be the same in paperback and hardback. I'm not sure why the page count is showing differently, it might be that Amazon have guessed the page count for the paperback.
CarlL wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 16:18Do all your books sell" indirect" via Amazon or Barnes & Noble? Or do you have a direct sales from Shilka Publishing?
I would rather send my cash to you at Shilka than a cut to Amazon!!
Selling ebooks direct is on my to-do list, but paper books are more hassle, so I don't know if I'll do those. I might offer to sell copies to the people on my email list before the official publication date. That will depend on exactly when it's ready and how busy I am at the time.

Amazon and Barnes & Noble are the only online stores currently listing it, but when it's released, any book shop should be able to order it even if they don't have it in stock. So if you have a local bookshop, ask them to order it for you.
granty101 wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 16:58 Does it have lots of photographs to accompany the text?...I like photographs :D
Right now, I don't know. I'm looking at commissioning at least a couple of maps, but nothing is finalised yet. I'm still editing, so I don't even have the final version of the words yet, never mind pictures :)
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Wow Russell, I thought it was all set in concrete if a publication date had been set but obviously not!!

And as for Grant, asking about photos come on laddie its a book aimed at wargamers, if its like that famous publisher nameless of course (but bird like) then its more photos and diagrams and artwork than text!!!???

But I am hoping Russell focuses on the history, and while a good image may be worth a thousand words, a thousand well written words can make an excellent historigraphy or narrative history, which one image cannot.

All to play for then.....

CarlL
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Thanks for the heads up! Now added to my Barnes & Noble 'wish list', and will be tacked on to one of my next book orders in due course.

David
Russell Phillips

CarlL wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 22:29Wow Russell, I thought it was all set in concrete if a publication date had been set but obviously not!!
In the past, I've waited until the words at least were finalised before setting a publication date, but this time I've decided to set myself a deadline. It's my hope to have every edition (hardback, paperback, ebook, large print, and audio book) all available on 5th May. I've committed to the first three at least, the audio book is the one that I'm least certain of having ready in time.
CarlL wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 22:29But I am hoping Russell focuses on the history, and while a good image may be worth a thousand words, a thousand well written words can make an excellent historigraphy or narrative history, which one image cannot.
Like I said, the contents aren't finalised yet, so I can't make definitive promises, but I can assure you that there will be far more words than images :)
granty101

Post by granty101 »

Russell Phillips wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 13:01 but I can assure you that there will be far more words than images :)

Spoilsport!!! :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!