D-Day

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
bannockburn bhoy

D-Day

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 06 Jun 2019, 12:16

75 years ago today six of my relatives took part in the "great crusade" in one capacity or another ,all on the front line.
Five of them made it home ,including my auld man ,or I wouldn't be writing this. His brother fell however, and this affected my Da his whole life. I think upon them and all the rest that gave so much , may they all be at peace.

dadlamassu

Re: D-Day

Post by dadlamassu » 06 Jun 2019, 14:59

Just back from the presentation of the Chevalier of the Legion d'Honneur to 4 D-Day veterans at the French Cosulate. Discovered that one of them served with my father! Taking a short break - 2 more events today,

Quite an emotional and humbling day. https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/LegionScotland/posts/

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 06 Jun 2019, 19:06

Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of emotion on such an occasion Alan ,I think there would need to be something wrong with you if these events were anything other than stirring, thanks for sharing and of course for all your service.

My Da,s brother Tommy fell when he was caught the wrong side of the Orne river in an action against 12th SS hitler youth division ,as the Falaise Pocket was closing.

granty101

Post by granty101 » 06 Jun 2019, 22:33

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 19:06
Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of emotion on such an occasion
Seconded John.

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » 07 Jun 2019, 06:53

Last night our local Branch of the Royal British Legion Scotland held a packed commemoration service at our local Church - Kirk of Calder. Since I am the President of the Branch I had the privilege of hosting Moira Niven (Lord Lieutenant), Will Ramsay and his mother (Will's grandfather was Admiral Ramsay who planned the Naval plan for Overlord), Macolm McCuaig (a D-Day veteran), Sir Alistair Irwin (National President of RBLS) and various public and military representatives. My small part was to deliver the Exhortation to mark the start of the Act of Remembrance and the Kohima Epitath to conclude it.

A wonderful evening.

Malcolm's story https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/loca ... es-8197053

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 07 Jun 2019, 12:06

These auld boys are something else, parachuted into Normandy at 93 years of age :shock: :D :D :D

One particularly lucid veteran when asked about the contrast in the experience from then and now summed it up with " well the reception was different " :D :D pure quality..God bless them..

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 07 Jun 2019, 13:38

I posted a video onto the society FB page this morning of two 90+ vets being dropped into France yesterday :shock:

One was heard to comment as they strapped him into the tandem harness - "a lot more fuss these days" :lol:

Balls of steel those boys, makes you humble to listen to them :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 08 Jun 2019, 12:32

Different class Richard :)