Does Paintaing have nothing to do with Wargameing?

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
sandsmodels

Re: Does Paintaing have nothing to do with Wargameing?

Post by sandsmodels »

my 20mm baor army is stowed, figs painted with various colours ect and looks great to me.
my recent usmc forces are just plain sand painted and the for the inf i have just sprayed them sand, black guns and flesh faces & hands, they also look ok on the table.
i have cut down on painting the right colours and details, life is too short, especialy after my recent heart scare, i now just paint for gaming purposes and nothing else.
the beauty of gaming is the various levels you can stay at or experiment.
each to his own i guess.
sandsmodelshop.com
UshCha

Post by UshCha »

Don't get me wrong If you want to paint figures I would be the last one to complain. What I dislike is when painters moan that folk have not painted but only coloured there figuers. The point is that being indestinguishable at wargames ranges there should be no figure "snobbery" when gaming and begginers should not be berated for minimal painting as that is perfectly acceptable.
bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy »

In my own experience that is a new phenomenon to me. I would say most people are very supportive of other peoples efforts regardless. Especially where nubies are concerned.
I am a modeller /collector that sometimes wargames . There are wargamers that sometimes paint .
I would think it fair to say with the odd exception that the one would be better than the other and vice versa at their respective preference.
If anyone ever asked me about technique etc I am always only to happy to help.
Also as Shaun says ,your perspective on things and priorities can change.
My own gaming preferences have come in for a fair bit of criticism ,as I find myself at odds with most peoples approach.
It comes right down to each their own ,its a hobby ,its meant to be FUN not a chore. John
cartfc

Post by cartfc »

I think it was Charles Grant that said wargaming was really 3 hobbies, the gaming, the modelling and the history. Where people sit on the X, Y, Z graph of those 3 facets of the hobby is a personal choice. Certain games seem to attract players at a certain point. For example Bolt Action players are heavy on the gaming and modelling/aesthetics aspects, less so on the history. I guess it is about finding a balance you are personally happy with.

Cheers Fred.
bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy »

Aye Fred I think the history part of it is probably the common denominator. John
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Well said Fred.
CarlL
UshCha

Post by UshCha »

Interestingly I have met a number of players to whome the history was not a common denominator. However some were very keen painters, others were keen on the game.
dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

I have met similar chaps and chapesses playing D&D, Warhammer, WH40K, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars etc. Many know their "history" or background to a staggering degree of detail.

I read a lot of history and some of it is related to wargaming. For example I have a great interest in the battles in and around Berlin in 1945 but do not play any wargames based on that interest.

I recognise the three elements of history, modelling and game to which I would add "social". Wargaming for me is as much about social interaction as anything else.
UshCha

Post by UshCha »

Interesting comment on "social" interaction. Chess players do not chat while playing the game neither do tennis players or even dominoes players and yet some wargamers seem to want too chat while playing. posting.php?mode=reply&f=11&t=628# I am most definitely in the Former catogory, but occatoinaly the latter but then the game is at best lack luster as you can't play well and chat. In my experience painters often fall into the latter section as the "game" is almost just an excellent excuse to display figures.posting.php?mode=reply&f=11&t=628#
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Possibly true, but not all wargames are the same are they?

The rules you have shared with us here and the chats stemming from those posts make me think whilst I`d probably enjoy watching a game, actually taking part would cook my head - too many rules, too much thought, not enough actual pushing toys :D

As I`ve said many times, I brought my lads up on Charle Grant, basic simple rules, but even then we have actually simplified them, gone over to a far more free form version, only using dice to resolve actions (to hit, damage, morale), virtually little else. Talking, discussing, interaction is a major part of the games as is me explaining the history, the actual action depicted, the consequences, etc, etc

My painting is pretty poor, so we play with what i have, the esthetics limited to what i can produce.
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908