Does Paintaing have nothing to do with Wargameing?

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
UshCha

Does Paintaing have nothing to do with Wargameing?

Post by UshCha »

I have already begun to be suspicious of many of the "traditions" in wargaming that have survived against all logic. Today is another such, day but one that surprised me. I needed some Carl Gustav's for my 1/72 German army. These were only available in generic form from S&A models. I was in a rush, so slapped on NATO green with a European helmet. I then realized that at the level of detail on 1/72 the Weapon is also NATO green. But the tradition said at least paint it black which is rubbish being totally unrealistic but what the heck. During the game I did get chance to glance at the models. Surprise, surprise I could not even tell the weapon was black! I could just see the dry brushing had added a bit of variation to the flat color of the model but that was it.

So what does this tell us? Basically painting a model for actual play is POINTLESS. Now if you are a modeler and want to paint it and for some reason want to look at it at 150mm away then so be it. However it does make us look stupid if we moan at folk who turn up with models (particularly moderns) with monotone figures to play. This in my experience is often the case, worse still I may have been guilty of propagating the myth. You can't see the difference. This lowers the bar for beginners, they can play with figures that took only an evening to paint and know on the board they will be perfectly acceptable.

We need to right this fundamental wrong if wargames is to survive as a game in the get it quick world we now live in.
UshCha

Re: Does Paintaing have nothing to do with Wargameing?

Post by UshCha »

As an aside Richard Richards last nicely painted models look fine in the Photos. However the figures are shown well over life size I estimate the actual photo figure is nearly 50mm tall. To be realistic for a wargame You would need to view the screen from about 6 ft away. Therefore the paint job is unnecessary to play but I am sure for those inclined great fun to do. But we must not get the two mixed up.
cartfc

Post by cartfc »

Not sure there is any wrong to right. People can play with figures painted how they like. I find in general people appreciate figures that have been well painted and I have complimented players on their figures and had mine complimented at times too.

Cheers Fred.
Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips »

cartfc wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 11:29Not sure there is any wrong to right. People can play with figures painted how they like.
So far as I can see, the only wrong to be set right is to not have a go at people if their figures aren't painted particularly well. To my mind, that comes under the general heading of "don't be an arsehole".
Military history author and SOTCW Treasurer
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Russell Phillips wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 16:09 So far as I can see, the only wrong to be set right is to not have a go at people if their figures aren't painted particularly well. To my mind, that comes under the general heading of "don't be an arsehole".
The word... :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

my painting is OK (for me), it basically identifies the various units as what they are supposed to be.

How super accurate you want to be is up to you, I look at Piers Brand`s or Rob Rowell`s work (as examples) and frankly would be scared to handle them as they are so fine quality.

Mine, ah well, not so scary to play with :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
UshCha

Post by UshCha »

I wish such well rounded comments were the norm.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

UshCha wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 16:50 I wish such well rounded comments were the norm.
Depends, if you wanted to play with bare metal or plastic then I`d have you publically flogged :D

A painted figure (however poorly) is a person :D unpainted its just a model :cry:
dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

My grandchildren were here just now and I asked them. The opinion of an 8-year-old is that unpainted they are toys, with faces painted they are little men but when fully painted they are soldiers in our wargames.

For me - unpainted sit in boxes or on the work table. I paint to my acceptable standard so that I can recognise personalities and differentiate units. So painting has a lot to do with my wargaming. I have played games where the figures were painted all blue for one side and all red on the other but somehow the games were more like chess than wargames.

That said, for modern microtank games I suppose correctly painted figures shoud be indistinguishable from the terrain if their battle procedure is up to scratch.
bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy »

I paint figures because I really like painting figures the more accurate the better.
Poetic licence has to be applied at times for the sake of aesthetics. IMHO
They then are subsequently used on the table...a waste of time, its my time , .. but its also my approach to what I like doing.
I don't judge other peoples efforts , what they are happy with is their approach to their hobby and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I painted some Warsaw Pact Mountain troops ,a particularly difficult camo scheme (see Osprey) ,and it took a silly amount of time. Having completed them ,should they not be used because of the finish.
On the table they are just another splodge of camo , but my pleasure comes in painting them the way I like them.
But im not precious about them ,THEIR TOYS :D