painted figures

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
dadlamassu

Re: painted figures

Post by dadlamassu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:20 am

The only painted figures I have bought have been at the Bring and Buy stands at shows. Not because I'm and old skinfint but because I really enjoy paintining my own figures to my fairly average standard. I have painted figures for other folk but never for cash, I get "paid" in new toys for my games and a friend has painted a couple of very nice figures for me that were beyond my capability in a similar exchange.

UshCha

Post by UshCha » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:55 am

No way. I have realised that on the table even a 1/72 Nato Green figure dry brushed is indestinguishable from a better painted figure at 4 ft. The weapons are often very similar in coloure to the Uniform and any sublty in shade is totral lost at 4 ft. Ergo anything excessively painted had nothing to do with actualy playing wargameing. Years ago I did pay for cheap painting of ancients but tha local hobby guys did it for about twice casing price you paid for the figure.

I realise painting is a moddler thing not a wargame thing and many modlers get it unrealistic anyway, no cammo on the face and no dirt, all of which obscures actula detail anyway.

cartfc

Post by cartfc » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:38 am

I just paid a guy to paint scenery for me. He painted our flat and charged £15/hour. :-) No subtle shading, but some quite fiddly bits. Nice finish though. It does mean if you charge £5 a figure for 28mm you need to paint 3 an hour to make as much as our decorator.

Cheers Fred.