painted figures

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
bannockburn bhoy

painted figures

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 11 Dec 2018, 10:01

Does anyone pay to have their figures painted professionally.
Would anyone pay £25 or more per 28mm figure ,painted to Connoisseur standard. cheers John

Gary

Re: painted figures

Post by Gary » 11 Dec 2018, 12:21

No and no.😁
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 11 Dec 2018, 13:41

Thanks Gringo :)

sediment

Post by sediment » 11 Dec 2018, 13:55

Only if I won the lottery.

Nope is probably the most likely long term answer.

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 11 Dec 2018, 17:21

Just after we started the hotel, I was really time-poor, but had got several articles published and was flushed (hobbywise) so paid for a couple of units but I`m only talking £3-5 a 20mm figure, NOT those sort of charges :o

These days I have more time and just enjoy plodding along at my own pace :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 11 Dec 2018, 18:33

John

its that age old chestnut, if I set myself in business as figure painter and had talent to turn out little masterpieces, I would want the price paid to reflect the time and skill put in.

I dont doubt that the many professional looking photo ads in glossy mags and on websites may command such sums, as a splendid paint job can turn even a simple figure (like the very early Airfix confederates) into star turns.

There may be many such buyers out there, one imagines business high flyers, bankers, and hi tech earners, with cash to spare for their hobby who want the best and will pay the best. But I guess thats a niche market?

I suppose thats why many people have thought about making a living from painting figures, after all for many of us that is more of the hobby than gaming, but the reality from the few I know who have tried it, is that it is hard work to get such a turnover, to make enough cash and everyone (I exaggerate of course) wants the finished item for next weeks game at the lowest price possible. Probably why painting businesses seem to be thriving in low cost (or should that be low wage) economies in Asia? Or am i imagining that trend?

Carl not that skilled and not wanting to make my painting hobby a stressful job!

PS I forgot to answer the question. I haven't paid that much. I have paid for figures to be painted when a mate began work as such a painter but soon realised I could not afford what he deserved to be paid and I missed not painting my own stuff. Its kind of therapeutic with a small t.

gordograd

Post by gordograd » 11 Dec 2018, 21:11

John
I wouldn’t pay those rates but I can understand why you would if you had the money and the quality was superb. Painting for me has always been a key part of the hobby.

However, just recently as part of my clearing out (and recognition that I’ll be dead before all the leads painted!) I have been selling unpainted figures and buying painted in return. In most cases I’ve paid less than the cost of the unpainted casting. I’ve managed to pick up nicely painted figures that I then add and wash and dry brush to.

Ken

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 11 Dec 2018, 23:44

Thanks Gentlemen ( & you Gringo ).
I have been looking at painting services and must admit to being taken aback by some of the prices quoted.
I have hundreds of figures that I have painted for my own collection ,not particularly for gaming but because I like painting. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time on some of them ,reflected in the finished item ,but over the top really.
The aesthetic side of the hobby has always appealed to me ,but im now more inclined towards the game in itself.
As stated a lot of my collection was done because I liked the figures ,but am not particularly interested in gaming with them. Mostly Sci-fi ,post apocalyptic ,fantasy type stuff.
Im thinking of selling them ,but I don't want to give them away.
Carl has nailed it , its getting hooked into that end of the market. I was thinking of trying to put some photos on here and perhaps you could have a look and tell me what you think of them. Ive just finished a set of Flash Gordon figs ,together with fifty zombies for the Zombicide game. Im asking because they would be outside of the remit of the Society for the most part . cheers John

Seret

Post by Seret » 12 Dec 2018, 00:19

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 10:01
Does anyone pay to have their figures painted professionally.
Would anyone pay £25 or more per 28mm figure ,painted to Connoisseur standard. cheers John
The going rate is about £4 for 28mm foot.

I have used a painting service in the past for some stuff. But probably 99% of what I own I painted. If you're time poor and cash rich you'd be a mug not to.

Some of the guys at my club have no real interest in the painting side of the hobby and we've got a couple of excellent painters who will quite happily (and very quickly) knock out whatever you want them to for a reasonable fee. Nicely painted miniatures end up on the table and everyone is happy, I'm all for it.

cartfc

Post by cartfc » 14 Dec 2018, 02:56

Top whack for painted figures is around the £12-14 mark for 28mm and that is for beautiful paint jobs. £6-8 that will get you very nice finish and £3-4 wargames standard. Those prices include the cost of the figure, if you supply your own it’s cheaper of course.

Cheers Fred.