Post by granty101 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:30 am

People whinge and people shout,
I’ve got no laptop, I’m missing out,
I’ve last year’s smart phone and iPad too,
What am I going to do?

When you whine and when you moan,
Think of the young lads who never came home,
Proud lions sent out and slaughtered in vain,
Millions would never see their homelands again.

So yes, I’ll wear my Poppy with pride,
And pay my respects to those who died.
So stop your crying is what I say,
And buy a Poppy for Remembrance Day.

Grant (SOTCW805)

P.S. No offence is meant, or implied, to anyone reading this who isn't 'British'.
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

bannockburn bhoy

Re: Why I wear a Poppy for Remembrance Sunday

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 am

unfortunately here in Scotland there has been attempts to highjack the Poppy for political ends , so some people have stopped wearing it. I always get one (at least) and wear it together with my late grandfathers Silver wound medal ,he had a particularly difficult war (didn't they all) he was with the BEF all the way through to October 1918 when he was seriously wounded for the third time. He was with the Scottish Rifles (The Cameronians) I will never forget him.

granty101

Post by granty101 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 am

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 am
I will never forget him.
John, once we forget the past, we repeat the mistakes that were made then. :cry:

Grant

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:24 pm

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 am
unfortunately here in Scotland there has been attempts to highjack the Poppy for political ends , so some people have stopped wearing it.
Interesting, I have been collecting for the poppy appeal in Scotland for over 50 years and not been aware of any political exploitation. I am very aware of commercial exploitation by shops and other businesses selling "bling items" that have no connection with Poppy Scotland or the RBL Poppy Appeal south of the border.

I have noticed fewer traditional poppies being worn and more people wearing bling and enamel badges. The Poppy Appeal has been suffering as a result. We get almost all the money from a traditional poppy but only a few pence or a small percentage if anything at all from the other items.

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:41 pm

I think it has been inveigled in the madness that passes for football Alan

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:04 pm

Ah yes, I know about that two teams- one in blue and the other in green. Less political - more driven by bigotry and commercial interest.

granty101

Post by granty101 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:18 pm

dadlamassu wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:04 pm
one in blue and the other in green
I think the teams concerned, or to be more accurate, their fans, should remember both men from the blue and green half of Glasgow served in both world wars :cry:

Grant

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:16 am

dadlamassu wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:24 pm
Interesting, I have been collecting for the poppy appeal in Scotland for over 50 years and not been aware of any political exploitation. I am very aware of commercial exploitation by shops and other businesses selling "bling items" that have no connection with Poppy Scotland or the RBL Poppy Appeal south of the border.

I have noticed fewer traditional poppies being worn and more people wearing bling and enamel badges. The Poppy Appeal has been suffering as a result. We get almost all the money from a traditional poppy but only a few pence or a small percentage if anything at all from the other items.
I tend to buy from an RBL stand, but I'm curious - if I pay a pound for a wrist strap for instance, from an RBL stand, does the RBL get most of that pound, or just a few pennies?
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Russell Phillips wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:16 am
I tend to buy from an RBL stand, but I'm curious - if I pay a pound for a wrist strap for instance, from an RBL stand, does the RBL get most of that pound, or just a few pennies?
The best way to contrubute is to buy the traditional paper poppy as the Poppy Appeals get almost all of the donation because they are made in house by veterans. We get about 60p if you pay £1 for your poppy. I forget the exact amount but a Scottish poppy (4 petals, no green fern) raises slightly more than the one with 2 petals and a leaf because of the additional cost (about £40k)for the paper for the leaf.

The RBL and RBLS "merchandise" - metal badges, mugs, bling poppies etc - is produced by commercial companies and so the money that goes to the appeal is less. For example a metal badge costing £3 on the stall yields about £0.65 so about a third what we get for a traditional paper poppy. The ones bought in shops or from other sellers yield even less if anything at all. Of the big companies Sainsburys and M&S give the highest percentage. Though others like Morrisons, Sainsburys and ASDA often let us put stalls inside their stores.

The appeals really rely on the kind souls who put a bit extra in the tin.

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks for the info, Alan.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing