Richard B.

Re: Blasts from the distant past

Post by Richard B. » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am

MrCreak wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:38 pm
You mean you don't know?! ;)
Paul A Allcock.
Paul

An example of the confusion caused by the use of pseudonyms on forums, people don`t know who they are talking too, which can lead to offence being given at times :D (not in this case)

I had no idea you were MrCreak either :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Ive already explained mine ad nauseum..that's why I usually sign off John.....cheers John :D

panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 pm

I used a pseudonym when I joined the Forums as it seemed to be the thing to do at the time....if I changed now no-one would know who I am anymore.... :lol:

Kalinovsky

Post by Kalinovsky » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:40 pm

Just one of the good things about the old SOTCW Forum was that people used real names

granty101

Post by granty101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 am

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 pm
Ive already explained mine ad nauseum..that's why I usually sign off John.....cheers John :D
Who are you again?? :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Ooh you are naughty Grant !!

CarlL

PS Grant why are you hiding behind the pseudonym of a whisky?

granty101

Post by granty101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:26 am

CarlL wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 pm

PS Grant why are you hiding behind the pseudonym of a whisky?
Just one whisky? :shock: ...you don't know me that well then Carl :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:33 pm

Russell Phillips wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 pm
Doing it for one Journal was time consuming and difficult. I won't be doing it for any more. If anyone else wants to take up the challenge, shout up.
Well I would consider it but I think I should want a clear idea of what we aimed to achieve. Doing a complete journal might be too demanding but what if we redid what we could get cleared as some form of compendia? That would enable publishing some of the past material.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 am

I don't quite understand. There are 50-odd Journals that we don't have available in digital format. If one Journal is too demanding, then what are you offering to do?
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

Kalinovsky

Post by Kalinovsky » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:16 pm

Maybe that instead of trying to get permission from all the contributors to one particular Journal to contact people who have in general written for the Journal and see which of them would give permission for their work to be put on the website? It’s not important then for it to be shown Journal by Journal, it could be listed or searchable by theme or by author’s name.

Just to be clear I’m not volunteering to do anything myself ( I have done something similar a while back professionally for a couple of years a while ago), I’m just saying this would be another way to approach it without being completist about it. And in Wargaming terms I got a lot of permissions when I first set up the Vintage Wargaming blog including people like Don Featherstone (RIP), John Tunstill and Airfix.

Some of these gave blanket permissions so you could start with some of the more prolific contributors or some of the more memorable marerial.

There’d need some thought to be given about using their email addresses to contact them to make sure SOTCW keeps on the right side of GDPR.