activity

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Russell Phillips

Re: activity

Post by Russell Phillips »

Right. I've had enough of this.

I try to keep a light touch, moderation-wise. I like to think that we're all old enough to cope with a bit of criticism and that we can keep things civil. But I'm very close to locking this thread.

If you're going to post, think carefully about what you're about to say. I am deliberately not naming names because I doubt it would be constructive. If you want to discuss the future of the society, do so. Be positive. Be negative. Be neutral. Disagree. Agree. Whatever. Just be respectful and please don't be a drama llama. I spend a lot of time with fiction writers, and they are the most over-dramatic people you could ever wish to meet. Please don't make me suffer that here ;)

If anyone wants to discuss this privately, feel free to PM or email me.
Military history author and SOTCW Treasurer
bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy »

CarlL my apologies . You and Granty have kinda morphed into one for me at times . Im currently unwell and probably shouldn't be on here. Anyway Grant if you want to cut your nose off to spite your face your a big boy that's your shout. Andrew has contributed massively to this society ,im talking about substantial articles etc for years and years. I think he was due more respect.
In the thirty years or so ive been involved with this society I might have been accused of being a few things but a drama queen isn't one of them .Andrew is gone there is nothing dramatic about that.
If this doesn't meet with your approval Russell you feel free to apply that light touch and censor me right off of here altogether. CarlL again my apologies .All the very best John
Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips »

Like I said, I'm not naming names, so I won't say who I was or wasn't referring to. The winking face after that comment was intended to dilute any sting that it had.

I'm just trying to limit any damage. Andrew's left the forum, and it looks like Grant may be doing the same. In my opinion, the forum is the poorer without them. I'm hoping no-one else will want to leave.
Military history author and SOTCW Treasurer
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

John, alias Bannockburn Bhoy, hope you are well soon. Yes Andrew has put more in than many so we don't want to lose contributors like Andrew (Rumblestrip).

Russell is right, we need to build and maintain our society, with or without its Journal, and not destroy it from within whatever the differing opinions about the way forward. CarlL
hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 »

Gentlemen, was it Field Marshall Wavell who stated that one spent more than 50% of the time fighting one's own side?

Can we not disagree with more civility? The emphasis should be on finding a mutually acceptable way forward rather than bickering like 1945 Nazi generals as the ship of state sinks beneath the waves.

Let us focus on what brings us together rather than the differences.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]
Seret

Post by Seret »

I think that a "society" that can't even agree what its purpose is is probably in serious trouble. I think Andrew has made an excellent point, it may well be that the changes in technology have meant that the old wargames societies are less necessary than before. When you think about it, if that's true then that's actually a good thing: people are able to get news, inspiration, tips, improve their knowledge and contact traders without a society to tie it all together.

So the question is: does the SOTCW still have a role, and if so what is it? It has to offer something people can't get elsewhere (whether that's qualitative or quantitative) or else people just won't bother.
sediment

Post by sediment »

As we are all supposed to be wargamers, how about the society, via the forum, contributes by organising 20th Century themed games events? There are quite a few groups that already do this quite successfully for a variety of periods and scales. Maybe some attractive display games at shows could come out of dedicated gaming events. As an example, the Cold War Commanders (including lots of SOTCW members) meet at least once a year to play out a big 1/300 game, this year we're going back to gaming a Soviet assault on Norway in the mid 80s, usually in September, but we also put on display games at events like Joy of 6. Crisis Point (organised by another SOTCW member) is another one, usually played out in 20mm scale where we've fought over a fictitious Black Sea country in games set in 1918 and 1991. Perhaps, if there was interest, we could organise events that let players take part in larger games than they would usually have access to. There used to be an SOTCW game at the Gauntlet show organised by Deeside Defenders up until a couple of years ago.

Perhaps something along those lines might help to get our gaming mojo back? Then we might worry less about feeding a journal or web site and more about playing some games in the period we all love.

Cheers, Andy
Ian Shaw

Post by Ian Shaw »

Dont forget Joy Of Six, where we have another game !
Anything bigger than 6 is TOOOO big.