activity

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
bannockburn bhoy

activity

Post by bannockburn bhoy »

Given the virtual lack of activity is the society..Journal/Forum more or less finito.
Whats the consensus ,suggestions ,...anything. cheers John :? :( :?
Last edited by bannockburn bhoy on 11 Aug 2018, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.
Richard B.

Re: activity

Post by Richard B. »

I pop in regularly but see nothing added :(

At present i have a complete painting/modelling block on so have nothing to post :oops:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
granty101

Post by granty101 »

I'm in the process of writing a few articles, (Carl Luxford has had a quick draft of one of them, so he can testify I'm writing!!!), and will hopefully have them finished by mid August...then I will submit them to Pete, to pass on to the new editor to use...if he/she deems them fit enough to print.

If the Journal does go the way of the Titanic, I'll upload them all directly to the forum.

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!
Rumblestrip

Post by Rumblestrip »

The Society started in the olden days as a conduit to get wargamers with similar interests in touch with each other; to provide a platform for retailers to make their products known to potential customers and to allow members to share 'stuff they knew' either by getting together or writing about it. Much of this ambition was delivered through The Journal, with some additional peripheral meet ups. In due course this became almost wholly The Journal, with other activities by the Society extremely limited.

Now consider that first paragraph and decide whether 'something' to fill those needs is still necessary. I would contend that it is not and that that has as a result, the inevitable decline/demise of the Society. Wargamers with similar interests can now contact each other and share information and photos on a one to one basis. They can read dozens of blogs and research things for themselves and then share that research as they see fit. Retailers don't need to get in touch with a couple of hundred wargamers by advertising in a magazine - they are well known and have their own websites which people will visit. Additionally they can make news available about their products via The Wargames Website or TMP. Essentially then there is no 'need' for the Society or its Journal. It's a nice thing to have and we all like it but without necessity underlying its purpose, the enthusiasm and inspiration, to maintain or to expand it, evaporates. That, I think, is our story.

The Committee recognised most of this when we took over editorship and pointed out that the Society was, effectively, The Journal and that the future of the latter was the future of the former. Once it became clear that people were still not going to write enough material then I attempted on two or three occasions to start a conversation here about what it was that people wanted to happen within the Society, in the absence of the Journal. Those attempts elicited, basically, two responses
  • I want the Journal - just make it shorter, less regular, less frequent (displaying and admirable failure to grasp the reality of the situation)
  • we've tried (whatever suggestion someone made) and it didn't work/yes but who's going to do it? (very efficiently shutting down any proposals or ideas anyone might have)
So, we have no purpose and no product. We have failed to have any constructive conversation about how we might address those two shortcomings. We have a Forum which we will all presumably visit at least occasionally, but as noted in a couple of responses here, activity is dwindling. In a similar fashion to the Journal I would guess that as the frequency of appearance of new material falls then so too does the appearance of new material - a downward spiral (and incidentally another reason why a more irregular and less frequent Journal wouldn't have worked). We also have a small amount of spare cash and nothing on which to spend it (my most recent suggestion of a small meet up to run the campaign from my book, eliciting zero response).

Unless anyone has any really bright ideas, I am afraid I see no future for the Society. Its final demise will be measured by declining numbers of visits to this forum (somebody must be counting that somewhere - is there a trend?). Would the last visitor remember to turn the lights out as they leave.

Cheers
Andrew
¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

I`ve posted Andrews reply over on the FB page to see if anyone can be bothered to reply :?
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
granty101

Post by granty101 »

We need to get the forum 'lurkers' to stop looking and start posting. Why come online and not contribute?? :?

Grant
Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips »

Rumblestrip wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 16:45Now consider that first paragraph and decide whether 'something' to fill those needs is still necessary. I would contend that it is not
I think you're exactly right.
Rumblestrip wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 16:45Unless anyone has any really bright ideas I am afraid I see no future for the Society and its final demise will be measured by declining numbers of visits to this forum (somebody must be conting that somewhere - is there a trend?).
I measure visits. There may be a downward trend, but it's difficult to be sure. I only started measuring towards the end of last year.
Military history author and SOTCW Treasurer
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Doom and gloom seems to be the order of the day in above posts. Not a view I share.

A Journal has been published.
There is (quiet) activity on this Forum.
It is a place to share our interests whether it be modelling, gaming or history of period 1900+.

I see the maintenance of the Forum and the possibility of an ad hoc Journal as two BIG pluses.

Come on guys it may not be the highs of earlier days but you are likely to be the authors of our doom by talking it all down. Less moans more positivity please!?

CarlL
granty101

Post by granty101 »

CarlL wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 18:17
Come on guys it may not be the highs of earlier days but you are likely to be the authors of our doom by talking it all down. Less moans more positivity please!?

CarlL
Well said that man. ;)

I'm happy for the Journal to go to two (bigger) issues per year...if we get the contributions that is!! More pages with more colour might generate more interest, and possibly more sales? (Just a thought)

Grant
Rumblestrip

Post by Rumblestrip »

CarlL wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 18:17 Less moans more positivity please!
So what's the unique purpose of the SOTCW which only it meets and which therefore drives its survival?

If there isn't one, then we are as relevant today as the slide rule and are likely to suffer the same fate.

Additionally, in my opinion, we have thus far had plenty of positive thinking and promises of articles. That's the sort of approach which has manoeuvred us into our current situation. What we have lacked, and the only thing which would have saved us, is sufficient people taking positive action.

Cheers
Andrew
¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!