New painting guide for WW2 Germans

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
granty101

Re: New painting guide for WW2 Germans

Post by granty101 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:47 am

mick_in_switzerland wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:00 pm
I am the author and I can confirm that there are step by step guides
Cheers Michael, looks like another book to go onto my 'to buy' list :)

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

mick_in_switzerland

Post by mick_in_switzerland » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:17 am

Dear Grant,

I will probably do a flick through video on YouTube when I have a copy of the finished book.

Here is a quick summary of the chapters.

Chapter 1 Research & Planning
Chapter 1 is a primer for military modellers and wargamers. The history of WW2 is condensed into 800 words so that the reader has an overview of key events and locations. Next comes a brief explanation of military organisation and how that translates to types of wargames. Figure size and scale are explained.

Chapter 2 German Uniforms and Equipment
Chapter 2 is a detailed explanation of German uniforms and their development through WW2. This will help the modeller to identify the garments and equipment and then decide what colour it should be painted. It also helps to prevent historical mistakes such as an early war figure having equipment that was not issued until the late war period. At 8,000 words, this one chapter alone is about the equivalent to the useful content of one Osprey book.

Chapter 3 German Camouflage Patterns
This is the part that is unique and will appeal to historians, military modellers and experienced wargamers. This expands on an article that was published by the author in 2008. The German armed forces used many different camouflage patterns during WW2. This chapter explains which patterns were used on which garments and when. Robert Moss was commissioned to create illustrations for the book of various uniform garments with the appropriate camouflage patterns.

Chapter 4 Materials and Tools
This section describes the different ways that figures are manufactured. It also describes the hobby tools, paint and materials in detail. This will be very useful for a newcomer but also interesting for experienced modellers as it includes that latest materials and techniques.

Chapter 5 Building and Painting Techniques
Building and painting of both metal and plastic figures are described in great detail. To help explain techniques, there are examples from highly respected professional painters.

Chapter 6 Painting Recipes
This section is arranged like a Jamie Oliver Cook book. Brief uniform notes and photos of painted figures are accompanied by a table of colours with paint references for Vallejo Model Colour paints. Techniques for painting complicated camouflage patterns are shown in easy to follow step by step sequences.

Regards

Mick

granty101

Post by granty101 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Cheers Mick, it sounds like a good book :)

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

Seret

Post by Seret » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:19 am

mick_in_switzerland wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:17 am
Chapter 6 Painting Recipes
This section is arranged like a Jamie Oliver Cook book. Brief uniform notes and photos of painted figures are accompanied by a table of colours with paint references for Vallejo Model Colour paints. Techniques for painting complicated camouflage patterns are shown in easy to follow step by step sequences.
Mick,

How much of this is new or revised content? I've been a big fan of your guides hosted on the Artizan site, particularly the recipes for the various camo schemes. They are immensely useful, so thanks for those!

Obviously you'd prefer everybody just buys the book (£££!) and fair play to you on that, but from a skim of what you've posted there I think I'd be mostly buying the book just for this section.

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:15 pm

Sounds like (from chapter breakdown) this book will have a wider application outside of German uniforms so thats useful.

I see the pre-order price is £19.99.

If there are lots of useful colour plates then this will be useful guide.

I wonder if in addition to the reference to a specific range of paints there is enogh colour prints to allow matching to other ranges and to non modelling ranges like art acrylics?

CarlL

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi Mick Looks like a good deal for under a score considering the content ,perhaps you could put on a post , when it is released . BTW do you actually live in Switzerland , cheers John

mick_in_switzerland

Post by mick_in_switzerland » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Thank-you everybody.

I hope that you will find the book useful.

Release is planned for 22nd October. Amazon already has the possibility to pre order.

I do live in Switzerland.
I grew up in Blackburn, Lancashire and I worked for outdoor equipment brand, Karrimor, for about 15 years.
17 years ago, I moved to another brand, Mammut, in Switzerland.

The recipes are similar to the free stuff but as you would expect there are a number of updates.
There are several step by step sequences.
There are special drawings of garments in camouflage patterns that were done specially for the book.
I used Vallejo Model colour as the main reference but there is a cross match table and a photograph of paint cards.

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:20 pm

Pretty comprehensive thinking and planning Mick,
nice one.
CarlL

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:10 pm

I will definitely get this upon release ,you can always learn something new Mick. I lived and worked in Interlaken in the eighties for two years , the Bernese Oberland is one of my favourite regions . I hope the book launch goes well, cheers John

mick_in_switzerland

Post by mick_in_switzerland » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:42 am

Thank-you both