Email is dead!?

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Seret

Re: Email is dead!?

Post by Seret »

I actually think you're kind of on the wrong track looking at instant messaging Russell. If what you want to do is publicise new releases to a group of your followers the two main platforms you should be looking at are Twitter and Facebook.

You want a platform for pushing information out to an audience, not point-to-point comms.
Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips »

I already use Twitter and Facebook, as well as email. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't add some form of instant messaging as well, if my readers would like that option. If they don't want it and wouldn't use it, then there's no reason to add it. That's why I'm trying to find out if they want it.

Twitter and Facebook are great, but they have issues. When I post something, most of the people that follow me don't see it. Facebook, for instance, currently shows my posts to 15-20% of the people that follow my page, and Zuckerberg recently announced that they'll be reducing that number. If either company decides that I've violated their terms of service in some way, they can kick me off their platform with no warning, and then I lose all possibility of contacting the people that follow me there.
Military history author and SOTCW Treasurer
Seret

Post by Seret »

Russell Phillips wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 08:38 I already use Twitter and Facebook, as well as email. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't add some form of instant messaging as well, if my readers would like that option. If they don't want it and wouldn't use it, then there's no reason to add it. That's why I'm trying to find out if they want it.
If you're already using those two and email is there really any pressing need to add another channel? Sounds like there's not a lot of demand and that you've got it covered.
Twitter and Facebook are great, but they have issues.
So does email, to be fair.
When I post something, most of the people that follow me don't see it. Facebook, for instance, currently shows my posts to 15-20% of the people that follow my page, and Zuckerberg recently announced that they'll be reducing that number.
Yep, Facebook is notoriously bad for that. It's got a massive, massive audience, but I know a lot of people feel like it's too opaque and they dislike how little control they have over how much of their following they reach. Twitter is a lot better in that regard, and for stuff like you're posting I think it sounds ideal. Unfortunately while it's popular, it's by no means universal so I think you're stuck with your multi-channel approach
Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips »

Seret wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 10:01Sounds like there's not a lot of demand and that you've got it covered.
You're right, there doesn't seem to be a lot of demand, but I didn't know that until I asked.
Seret wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 10:01so I think you're stuck with your multi-channel approach
I'm happy using a multi-channel approach. In fact, I'd rather use a multi-channel approach. I was just trying to work out which channels :)
Military history author and SOTCW Treasurer
bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy »

When doing anything commercial its the age old problem of how do you best find your audience ,advertising of any sort ,in my experience , can be very fickle and always hit and miss.
If there is a cost in either time or money attached to this then obviously its problematic.
If there is little cost then spread the net as wide as possible. I suppose part of your problem or dilemma is the varying degrees of technical knowhow and involvement of your target audience.
For me you would be as well sending a carrier pigeon.
All the best regardless Russell ,I will always support your work as best I can. cheers John
freewargamesrules

Post by freewargamesrules »

It's getting harder and harder for businesses to contact their customers as there are so many ways to do it now adays. I still prefer email myself.
Pete Jones
-----------------
Webmaster
SOTCW 00533
cartfc

Post by cartfc »

Email or forum for me too.

Fred.