Email is dead!?

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Russell Phillips

Email is dead!?

Post by Russell Phillips »

I keep reading that email is dead, and that instant messaging is taking over. Email is currently the only way I have of contacting people that want to know about my books, so I'm looking at other options, but I don't want to set up six different messaging systems that people don't use.

So, if you'd like to hear about my new books, discounts, etc, please let me know which way you'd like to hear about them here: https://goo.gl/forms/4b4VwA7w3RcKLFYK2

Once I know what people want, I'll look into setting something up.
Military history author and SOTCW Treasurer
dadlamassu

Re: Email is dead!?

Post by dadlamassu »

email or the forum for me. Don't use Facebook, Twitter, Messaging, etc.
Ian Shaw

Post by Ian Shaw »

Instant messaging is insecure, or was, I don't touch it.
Anything bigger than 6 is TOOOO big.
Russell Phillips

Ian Shaw wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 16:57 Instant messaging is insecure
So is email. But I'm not proposing to send anything confidential.
panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 »

dadlamassu wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 15:54 email or the forum for me. Don't use Facebook, Twitter, Messaging, etc.
Ditto. I do have a Bookface account, but it’s only use is for the grandkids sending me pics.
All my wargames contacts and info exchange is via email.
Russell Phillips

Initial results seem to indicate that most people are happy with email. To be honest, that's what I'd expected, but I try to base business decisions on evidence when I can :)
hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 »

panzerman47 wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 21:40
dadlamassu wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 15:54 email or the forum for me. Don't use Facebook, Twitter, Messaging, etc.
Ditto. I do have a Bookface account, but it’s only use is for the grandkids sending me pics.
All my wargames contacts and info exchange is via email.
Ditto.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]
Seret

Post by Seret »

Russell Phillips wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 13:05 I keep reading that email is dead, and that instant messaging is taking over.
Yes and no. Email is still used a lot by businesses, either internally or to communicate with customers, but I think it's days as a social medium are behind it. Just look at your email inbox today; how many of those are an actual message written just for you by another human? 10%? 5%? Zero?

As a technology it's pretty hopeless. It's insecure, awash with spam and lacks pretty much every user-friendly feature of something more modern. But it just refuses to die. It's so ubiquitous that it's the default, because everybody knows everybody has it, and it works the same for everyone.
Russell Phillips

Seret wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 17:14 Just look at your email inbox today; how many of those are an actual message written just for you by another human? 10%? 5%? Zero?
40% in one account, 29% in the other account, but I realised long ago that I'm atypical when it comes to email.

But in this context, what I'm interested in is how people that want to hear about my new books etc prefer to hear about them. What the rest of the planet wants is irrelevant. That's why I've asked people to let me know, rather than just going by the standard wisdom. Thus far, most people prefer email, a few like Facebook Messenger (though they also like email).
bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy »

If its a matter you don't have to get all secret squirrel about ,then for me (as a self confessed technical dinosaur , granted. ) e-mail is the easiest and my preferred way. all the best Russell, and thanks again for all you and the rest of the troops do. cheers John