100 Years of War Sunday 30 September 2018

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Dave Knight

100 Years of War Sunday 30 September 2018

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Starting to organise this again

2 games in our period in Falkirk

Any interest in playing and/or putting on games?

Details below

100 Years of War

Jointly sponsored by Falkirk and District Wargames Club and the Society of Twentieth Century Wargamers – now in its 6th year

Date: Sunday 30th September 2018

Timing: 10:00 – 17:00 (2 gaming sessions with a short break in between for lunch)

Venue: Newlands Community Centre, Montgomery Street, Grangemouth, FK3 8QR

Cost: Free – tea and coffee (and possibly biscuits!) will be available without charge from the kitchen

Notes for Those putting on games

Each game should be capable of being run in full in one of the 2 gaming sessions and will normally only run once. The expectation is that games will be run by individuals or small groups. Think participation game rather than demonstration game. Any system from 1900 onwards, land, sea or air.

Those taking part will have varying levels of experience as wargamers and might have not played the rules before – indeed some people use this event as an opportunity to have a go at a new system so please bear this in mind when designing your scenarios.

Tables and boards are available as is some club terrain if needed

If you put a game on hopefully you will be able to take part in another game during the other session and you will have first choice of which one you want to take part in

Please contact Dave Knight with details of the game as soon as you can. An initial statement of intent is helpful but please forward details of those putting the game on. period, scale, board size and number of participants as soon as you can and by mid-September at the latest if at all possible. An example would be John Smith and Joe Brown, Normandy 1944, 15mm, Chain of Command 6 x 4 table 2 – 6 participants. Also advise if you expect to play in the other session.

Notes for game participants

You will have the opportunity to play 2 games during the day, although if you can only make one session this is no problem.

You will be able to state a preference of which games you want to take part in nearer the time, but please be aware that your first choice may not be available and you may be asked to take part in a different game. If this causes you a major issue please have a quiet word on the day.

Part of the fun is to mix people from different clubs and for you to have a chance to play something new, but the primary aim is for us all to have 2 fun games so no strict rules apply other than normal sensible behaviour.

Dave Knight

Re: 100 Years of War Sunday 30 September 2018

Post by Dave Knight » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Any interest in this?

Ian Shaw

Post by Ian Shaw » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Long way for me, 4-5 hrs driving and longer by train.
Anything bigger than 6 is TOOOO big.

Dave Knight

Post by Dave Knight » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:46 pm

We held the event on Sunday. Numbers were down, the lowest yet, but everybody still seemed to enjoy it

In the morning it was WW2 Chain of Command in 28mm, WW1 Bolt Action in 28mm and Soviet Polish War If the Lord Spares us in 10mm.
In the afternoon a fairly big Boer War game in 28mm using Black Powder with another group playing 2 WW2 15mm games of What a Tanker.

I will probably run it again next year

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:51 am

David

i can only apologies for my lack of attendance (again), work just doesn`t allow me the time to do shows (or even step outside my front door some weeks).

As always I regret not attending and am full of admiration for your efforts - well done that man :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Dave,
Sounds like you achieved aim of variety of game styles (rules figure scales, periods) and had fun, which seem to me higher measures of success than numbers attending although without participants all would be lost.
So hope you find energy and motivation to do it all again next year?

Is there a slowing down of the wargaming hobby north of the border? Shows in Glasgow have disappeared. Shops have gone onto the web or gone completely.
In UK as a whole some big shows have disappeared of late at Sheffield and Derby perhaps sharing fate of now forgotten Northern Militaire that had various venues before its demise ?! Perhaps there is a wider demographic at play or simply that there are more local opportunities than 40 years ago and ever growing on line alternatives in wargaming?

Your aim was to get people playing and sharing games so very much achieved. Well done.

Perhaps I should set up a Sotcw OAPs section on my retirement and think about promoting non profit charabangs to this kind of day or weekend gaming experience?
CarlL letting in Granty with another opening here!

granty101

Post by granty101 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:58 pm

CarlL wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Perhaps I should set up a Sotcw OAPs section on my retirement and think about promoting non profit charabangs to this kind of day or weekend gaming experience?
CarlL
Charabancs!! :o I thought a pony and trap would have been more your era Carl :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:56 am

Well done Dave looks like a result.

I would have thought straight into a white van for you two ;)

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Bannockburn Bhoy,
Share a white van with Granty, you must be raving bonkers! ;) (of course we know you aren't!)
he would have me laughing my head off, so much I would need ambulance..... A different sort of white van then....
Carl who needs no help to go mad!

Dave Knight

Post by Dave Knight » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:12 pm

Wargaming in Scotland is in good fettle. The show that my club at Falkirk puts on, Carronade, gets over 700 through the dorr and by the time you add in those putting on games, club members traders etc numbers push well over 900. Claymore is a similar size. Our clubs meets on a Monday night and we had 40 turn up last week playing 14 games. The Bolt action WW1 game from Sunday was rerun and I got a chance to play it. There is a real mix of historical and non historical gaming with the occasional board game and RPG.

I understand that there will be a show in Glasgow next year - the date I have heard is 29th June - hopefully there will be more details out soon