SOTCW new hard copy periodical proposal

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
magnification

SOTCW new hard copy periodical proposal

Post by magnification » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Hello All,

Those of you with long memories may remember me as one of the founding members of the SOTCW from the mid/late eighties. Some 2-3 years ago now I left post due to the new Society Team taking a direction I was not happy with. Having read recent postings on this web site about the status of the existing Journal, issues around its production, and It's impact on the viability of the Society, I would like to re-engage with the membership with the following proposal.

I would like to produce an occasional SOTCW members only publication that would run concurrent (not instead of) any future Journals that do appear. I think this would be in A5 format, running at maybe 50-60 pages and would be themed in a similar manner to the Battlefront Flames of War publications, e.g. Invasion of the Low Countries, War in the Desert 1940 to 1943, Island Hopping Campaigns in the Pacific etc. I am still thinking through details, but what it would be is:
1) It would be occasional. Although now (almost) retired and with more time, I am not going to commit to a publication schedule that cannot be supported - I would envisage 2-4 issues a year, however.
2) Only available to members, but note; I have no idea how subs are working at present and there would obviously have to be finance of some kind.
3) Not on-line or pdf
4) Sent by post
5) Include maps and organisations
6) Include details of manufacturers and reviews for the themed subject
7) It will not be limited to WW2 but will cover the period the SOTCW reflects
8) It may include adverts (really not sure about this yet).

I doubt it would include photographs as I suspect we have all this stuff to hand anyway, so to some extent it would be a waste of space. I also don't think there would be colour, but It would be better quality than the Journals produced under my previous incarnation with the Society.

I must stress, this is not The Journal in another guise, nor a competitor. The future of that publication is well and truly in the hands of the Society Team; my proposal will merely complement The Journal. It is in fact the realization of a proposal from the mid nineties to have such a handbook/primer for those members new to a particular theater and wanting to get started. I think Russ's WW1 book from a few years ago was a step in that direction, but I don't know how well it did nor whether it is still available.

So, if you are interested can you please post here, or e mail me at sotcwmarkw@hotmail.com. What I need is your name and address and Society number if you have one. Some constructive thoughts and (dare I say it) offers of material would also be welcome. I will provide updates here, and will anyway contact all respondees when I have an update.

Regards,

Mark Wheeler
Autumn Lodge, Sorrell Green, Wyverstone, Stowmarket, Suffolk IP14 4TS

Rumblestrip

Re: SOTCW new hard copy periodical proposal

Post by Rumblestrip » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:18 pm

magnification wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 pm
...I would like to produce an occasional SOTCW members only publication that would run concurrent (not instead of) any future Journals that do appear....

2) Only available to members, but note; I have no idea how subs are working at present and there would obviously have to be finance of some kind...
Who's writing this? If it's a membership written publication then it is, by default, a competitor to any prospect of a continued Journal.

The membership/subscription thing might be an issue as it is unlikely that there will be further money collected and it therefore becomes difficult to define who is a member. A separate subscription may be necessary.

Cheers
Andrew
¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!

magnification

Post by magnification » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:35 pm

Hello Andrew/Rumblestrip,

Are you Andrew Rolph ? If so, a separate email I sent to you and others in the Team has been returned as undelivered - I guess I have an old address for you.

I will write it. If I get relevant material to the theme submitted, then I will use it, or otherwise send it on to the editor. It is not a competitor. It is a themed hand book primer specific to a period/subject at a point in time. The Journal is (was) a more generalised, higher profile publication. If there are no funds then I will collect these to cover costs, maybe on an issue-by-issue basis, maybe as a commitment to producing xx number of booklets for xx price - as I say, I have not thought through all the detail yet.

I hope this is clear.

Regards,

Mark

cartfc

Post by cartfc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:37 am

Sounds like an excellent idea Mark. I would particularly like to see guides for some of the more obscure/less gamed wars of the C20th.

Cheers Fred.

granty101

Post by granty101 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:15 pm

cartfc wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:37 am
Sounds like an excellent idea Mark. I would particularly like to see guides for some of the more obscure/less gamed wars of the C20th.

Cheers Fred.
This is an area I'd like to see more of :)

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:44 am

I don't want to put a damper on proceedings ,but given our current situation ,lets not get to carried away until the existing powers that be ,declare themselves in. Which I think they should do when they fully know the score, if memory serves Mark Wheeler was the treasurer ,forever..... I was unaware he had left under less than good terms. cheers John

granty101

Post by granty101 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:52 am

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:44 am
I don't want to put a damper on proceedings ,but given our current situation ,lets not get to carried away
I think you could be right John...flogging a dead horse comes to mind, and I do now think that is what's happening to The Journal :cry:

If Mark Wheeler can inject some new life into the SOTCW, (in whatever form), I'll listen to his proposals.

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:59 am

Absolutely Grant ;)

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Would these be like the things I used to write for the Journal? Iraq 1941 and the operations against the Mad Mullah and Somaliland 1940?

The former is in print from Caliver books https://www.caliverbooks.com/bookview.p ... 4&id=22375 but the latter two could be reworked. I might even have a go at something else in a similar vein if that is the case.

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Alan,
Both topics are interesting. Both worth re-telling!
Ones I am reading about recently but I joined sotcw to late to read this writing by you.
So ones for me to seek out!
CarlL