Potential future website (split from What`s everyone up too?)

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Richard B.

Potential future website (split from What`s everyone up too?)

Post by Richard B. » 21 Mar 2018, 20:16

hammurabi70 wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 23:24
Richard B. wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 14:43
Sounds good, i pre-ordered Battlegroup Torch (My first purchase of that rule system) :D
I hope you will post your observations and comments on them; perhaps we should have a rules review/comment thread.
Maybe, but without a magazine to publish it in seems a bit of a waste of time........
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

hammurabi70

Re: What`s everyone up too?

Post by hammurabi70 » 21 Mar 2018, 22:03

Richard B. wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 20:16
Maybe, but without a magazine to publish it in seems a bit of a waste of time........
Not at all; being internet based IS the way of the future.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 22 Mar 2018, 08:07

hammurabi70 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 22:03
Richard B. wrote:
You have made you opinion on that very clear, personally i mourn the loss of The Journal and find FB and these forums no substitute :cry:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

Seret

Post by Seret » 22 Mar 2018, 09:44

Richard B. wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 08:07
You have made you opinion on that very clear, personally i mourn the loss of The Journal and find FB and these forums no substitute :cry:
I think you're right, both the forum and FB are a poor substitute, because they're not optimised for long-form articles. But setting the Journal up as an online magazine that users could contribute to, with articles posted at about the same rate they came in at would work. One of the blogging platforms like Wordpress would do the job and probably reduce editorial workload while you're at it. It's what they're designed for. Allow people to post to it and upload articles, then the editor(s) check and schedule them for publication. Minimal cost, less stress for the editor, and a constant stream of new content without any worries about hitting deadlines. The Society would be more visible, the content would be indexed by search engines, etc.

hammurabi is right, times have changed and we need to move with them or get left behind.

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 22 Mar 2018, 10:04

Richard B. wrote:
hammurabi70 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 22:03
Richard B. wrote:
I will second that :( :(

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 22 Mar 2018, 10:18

Seret wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 09:44
Richard B. wrote:
I think you're right, both the forum and FB are a poor substitute, because they're not optimised for long-form articles. But setting the Journal up as an online magazine that users could contribute to, with articles posted at about the same rate they came in at would work. One of the blogging platforms like Wordpress would do the job and probably reduce editorial workload while you're at it. It's what they're designed for. Allow people to post to it and upload articles, then the editor(s) check and schedule them for publication. Minimal cost, less stress for the editor, and a constant stream of new content without any worries about hitting deadlines. The Society would be more visible, the content would be indexed by search engines, etc.

hammurabi is right, times have changed and we need to move with them or get left behind.
Well when is this going to be set-up??

Who is going to be the editors?

It is all very well saying this kind of stuff, but until it is live - it doesn`t exist!

Effectively with the death of The Journal, the SOTCW died, this forum has had only 222 members posting 868 times(and I posted 86 of these myself) on 153 topics whilst as an example the new "The Wargamers' Forum" started my John (Mausman) literally only a couple of months ago already has 209 members posting 2767 times on 269 topics.......

I`m sorry but that is how i see it, its all very well going online, but that content has to be written and produced and not available elsewhere, I just don`t see this happening :cry:

Seret

Post by Seret » 22 Mar 2018, 13:00

Just bouncing around ideas Richard.

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 22 Mar 2018, 13:52

My main irritation overall this is some people seem to have totally miss-understood the purpose and function of The Journal within the SOTCW :?:

The Journal was only ever a society magazine, it was never meant to be a thing people outside the society were meant to want or need. It was just for those of us within the SOTCW to contribute too (if we wanted) and to read and enjoy - if and when it finally turned up :lol: It was never meant to compete with the glossies then or with the instant internet today, it was always meant just as a magazine for the membership by the membership :!:

This forum and the website (well the older versions) was my attempt to add a more instant features and expand the online presence, NOT replace The Journal, which was never meant to be a commercial success - that was NOT its function.

Making it accessible through Wargames Vault was a fine idea, but probably should have been limited to back issues only as buyers became consumers NOT members, so you sold more copies, but actually didn`t gain any writers/contributors :( to paraphrase someone here from the "lets go 100% digital camp" You can`t expect people to contribute if your NOT going to pay them No you can`t but you can ask fellow members to contribute to their society magazine, as it is for only their society members and NOT just another product available to everyone.

Now I fully understand, this argument is over and this is NOT the way the team has decided to go, but I thought I`d make my position clear.

Without a Journal, the SOTCW is done, we have nothing to offer, no reason to join and are now just a folded page in the history of wargaming on the internet :o

Seret

Post by Seret » 22 Mar 2018, 16:50

Right, so lack of engagement from the membership, yet 20th century remains the single most popular period in wargaming. Something of a paradox, no?

Which means that while wargamers aren't spendng cycles of brain time on SOTCW, they are doing it elsewhere.

They're out there, the trick is engaging them.

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 22 Mar 2018, 17:07

We`ve been over this again and again, I am wasting my breath :roll:

Flames of War and Bolt Action gamers don`t need the SOTCW, they don`t write anything they are spoon-fed by those companies - they won`t join, they don`t want to pay for anything - so no point in chasing them........

The SOTCW has NEVER been about growing, it is just a small society - why you feel it needs too is beyond me!!

Also you come up with ideas but never actually do fuck all, you want someone else to do it!! If you think a blog is the way forward - build one, lets see how it goes, I`ll happily eat crow if it takes off :twisted: