Online whinging

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
granty101

Online whinging

Post by granty101 »

Hello all,

One thing that boils my p*ss about the online whingers on this forum, is the fact that they never post their names.

What you got to hide???

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!
panzerman47

Re: Online whinging

Post by panzerman47 »

I don’t class myself as a whinger, ( though the Aussies may disagree as I’m a ”soap dodger” lol!)
but I do have an online name that isn’t my real name.

I can’t speak for others but to answer your query from my perspective the honest answer is that when I started on various forums some 10 years ago everyone else had one instead of there real names, so I simply followed suit. When in Rome...... ;)

Possibly a bit outdated now, but I can’t be bothered to change it.
granty101

Post by granty101 »

panzerman47 wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 17:19 I don’t class myself as a whinger, ( though the Aussies may disagree as I’m a ”soap dodger” lol!)

I can’t speak for others but to answer your query from my perspective the honest answer is that when I started on various forums some 10 years ago everyone else had one instead of there real names, so I simply followed suit. When in Rome...... ;)

I haven't heard you 'whinge', so I don't mind what name you use...but if people want to complain about The Journal, The SOTCW, or this forum, I personally think it's only fair if you post your real name at the end of your comment(s).

Grant
Rumblestrip

Post by Rumblestrip »

...but if people want to complain about The Journal, The SOTCW, or this forum, I personally think it's only fair if you post your real name at the end of your comment(s).

Grant
Why? What difference does a name make?

Personally I've seen little whinging/complaining. I've seen a lot of people trying to start a conversation about what the society might be in the absence of its central organ. Those attempts have garnered little support and frequently met with challenge, as if considering a society as anything other than simply a magazine were something sacreligious.

Rumblestrip
(with a healthy dose of irony)
¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!
hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 »

panzerman47 wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 17:19 I don’t class myself as a whinger, ( though the Aussies may disagree as I’m a ”soap dodger” lol!)

(1) Quite so: my tag on the internet started life about 20 years ago.
(2) When a proper name is used it is not necessarily the author's real name.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]
granty101

Post by granty101 »

Rumblestrip wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 21:57
Why? What difference does a name make?
It makes no real difference at all...but why can't you use your real name?? You got something to hide??

Mark Twain
granty101

Post by granty101 »

hammurabi70 wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 22:34 (2) When a proper name is used it is not necessarily the author's real name.
Totally agree with you.

Adolf Hitler
Seret

Post by Seret »

The internet has always been a place where you can use a handle instead of your real name. That's part of its charm IMO.

The idea of using your real name on the internet is quite a recent one (Facebook, et al). I've never been on s forum that's required it. If you meet people IRL or you're actual friends instead of just someone you're chatting to over the internet then you'll get to know someone's real name. But online? Nah.

It's not a case of hiding, Granty. I just checked and my handle here is doxable in about four mouse clicks! But if people want to stay more anonymous than that then they can, and I don't think you should assume any kind of sinister motive. It's just how the internet works.
Rumblestrip

Post by Rumblestrip »

...also, in the interests of full disclosure, my avatar is not really a picture of me.

People may have good reason to be anonymous. There's a long history of people adopting non de plumes. I doubt we have any women posting, for example. If we did I wouldn't be at all surprised if they wanted to hide their sex.

Cheers
George Elliot
¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!
Dave Knight

Post by Dave Knight »

I understand that there is a culture in most forums to use made up names. I personally use my real name on all forums as I think it reasonable for those I am communicating with to know who I am. On a couple of occasions it has made me stop and think and I have avoided posting something vitriolic.