I had a quiet afternoon

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
dadlamassu

I had a quiet afternoon

Post by dadlamassu »

We have been snowed in since Tuesday all cars buried under a thick blanket of snow. Every morning I have walked to work the Citizens Advice Bureau to provide an emergrency service but today the building was closed (no heating) so I walked back home. All the neighbours were digging out cars and clearing paths. The snow in our car park had drifted in to fill it with 58cm of snow. We cleared Kirsty's Land Rover first and she ran a shuttle service to the shops and chemist. The rest of us shifter tons of snow. By lunchtime we were finished.

So I settled down with a mug filled with chicken noodle soup and flicked through the channels and watched:
"How Went the Day" followed by "Sink the Bismark"

So I had a quiet afternoon.

Still have a Yellow Warning and it is freezing cold in the windy conditions. The down side is that I think I contracted a chest infection.

Richard B.

Re: I had a quiet afternoon

Post by Richard B. »

I applaud your civic pride and volunteer spirit :D

We are of course open and spent the day refunding deposits from whinny bitches who were "forced" to cancel thier booking due to snow (none here in Swansea) whilst my irritating children 16 & 19 had the day off due to their school and university were closed due to the "snow" :roll:

Did watch "Sink the Bismark" though :lol:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Take care Alan.
Hope that infection clears up soon.
It seems like a simple task using time on your hands to shovel snow and clear public or private spaces.
However a study in USA showed how risky it is even for fit people to go out in severe cold and work on tasks like snow clearing without raising the risk of heart attacks, see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-30119410 among other reports.

CarlL

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

Richard B. wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 18:46
Of course - Jack Hawkins, a stellar cast, a great story, nice script and the special effects were limited to model ships. The bonus, of course were the Stringbags taking off from HMS Victorious

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

CarlL wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 19:16
Take care Alan.
Hope that infection clears up soon.
It seems like a simple task using time on your hands to shovel snow and clear public or private spaces.
However a study in USA showed how risky it is even for fit people to go out in severe cold and work on tasks like snow clearing without raising the risk of heart attacks, see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-30119410 among other reports.

CarlL
Well everything is dangerous if you read or listen to "experts". Eating most things, drinking most things, taking exercise, not taking exercise, breathing in cities, crossing the road etc. Life is pretty dodgy and the last 5 minutes particularly so.

Rememember that an "Expert" is "X marks the spot" where a spurt is a drip under pressure.

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

dadlamassu wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 20:50
Richard B. wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 18:46
Of course - Jack Hawkins, a stellar cast, a great story, nice script and the special effects were limited to model ships. The bonus, of course were the Stringbags taking off from HMS Victorious
I think you mean Kenneth More - Jack Hawkins was in Cruel Sea :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

sediment

Post by sediment »

Both great films and great actors. Battle of the River Platte with Anthony Finch was another good one.

Cheers Andy

Kalinovsky

Post by Kalinovsky »

sediment wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 23:39
Both great films and great actors. Battle of the River Platte with Anthony Finch was another good one.

Cheers Andy
Quayle?

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

You are correct - Kenneth More. I accept the blame not the very strong hot toddy had while watching it though it probably contributed.

sediment

Post by sediment »

Kalinovsky wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 02:38
sediment wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 23:39

Cheers Andy
Quayle?
Actually was thinking of Peter Finch - played Langsdorff. Quayle was also good as Ajax captain.

Cheers, Andy