Very quiet here??

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
CarlL

Re: Very quiet here??

Post by CarlL »

EXCELLENT link hammurabi70.
A story I had not heard of before.
Definitely one for more research, and the sources in this link, are a great starting point.
I have copied those sources here for all on forum.
CarlL

"Works
Elephant Bill (Rupert Hart-Davis, London, 1950) (account of his experiences with elephants in Burma)
also published as: Elephant Bill, Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1956
Bandoola (Rupert Hart-Davis, London, 1953) (Bandoola, named after General Maha Bandoola, was one of the elephants he knew; the content complements that of Elephant Bill)
The Spotted Deer (Rupert Hart-Davis, London, 1957) (on forestry)
Big Charlie (Rupert Hart-Davis, London, 1959) (about elephants)
In Quest of a Mermaid (Rupert Hart-Davis, London, 1960) (travel in Burma)

Film project
A film Bandoola was planned in 1956 by Hecht-Lancaster and United Artists; it was to have been filmed in Ceylon from November that year with Ernest Borgnine and Sophia Loren in the leading roles.[7]

Bibliography
Vicki Croke, Elephant Company: The Inspiring Story of an Unlikely Hero and the Animals Who Helped Him Save Lives in World War II, (Random House, 2014)
Susan Williams, The footprints of Elephant Bill, (Kimber, 1962)"

CarlL
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Very cool guys - thanks for posting :D

I actually picked up a brush for the first time since mid-December

Thank you to everyone for posting stuff :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 »

15 minutes of undeserved fame. The usual issue when you have been in the hobby a longtime: I assumed 'everyone' knew about Elephant Bill in Burma in WWII. I encountered the story long ago, lost in the mists of time.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Some bocage I made from off cuts of mdf, (for base); polystyrene off cuts (for core of bank); diy ready mix filler for outer surface of bank; real twigs for "tree trunks"; and model makers dyed lichen for foliage;, and some flock to banks after painting, latter done with mix of earthy cement paint (tester pot) colours; and some pva to try and hold "foliage" to twigs. Not yet sprayed any fixative (like hair lacquer) yet as these made in mid-November and too cold and damp to spray outdoors since (in northern Yorkshire). Poor photos as just test photos at time to share with friends who wargame.

Posting now to see if I can see images I post by Imgur as my last two visual posts others can see but I cannot when visiting this website which is bit spooky!! (Any ideas why this should be then let me know!! I am not very tech minded.)
CarlL

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

OK all I can see is an image icon but not the image!! This has only happened recently. Probably pressed wrong key somewhere. But can I undo it? Nah!!
HELP!!
CarlL
David Reasoner

Post by David Reasoner »

Carl, the images show up fine for me. Nice looking bocage, too. No idea why you can't see them?

David
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Thanks for the feedback David. Well at least others can see them!
CarlL
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

CarlL wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 01:23 OK all I can see is an image icon but not the image!! This has only happened recently. Probably pressed wrong key somewhere. But can I undo it? Nah!!
HELP!!
CarlL
Work for me and look really good mate :D
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
billk

Post by billk »

Bocage looks really good.
granty101

Post by granty101 »

CarlL wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 01:23 OK all I can see is an image icon but not the image!!

CarlL
Have you got the right glasses on??? ;)

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!