Who's still writiing/reseraching??

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
granty101

Who's still writiing/reseraching??

Post by granty101 »

To all the forum readers/watchers/lurkers, can I ask a simple question?

Who is still actively writing or researching articles for the SOTCW website?

I know the Journal will never be revived :cry: , but who has articles they can submit for (online) publication?

I only ask, as I've just sent Russ Philips another article, and I'm wondering if I should just post directly onto the forum, or keep doing articles for (hopefully) inclusion on the SOTCW website.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!
Richard B.

Re: Who's still writiing/reseraching??

Post by Richard B. »

You`re doing a sterling job mate, I eel a bit embarrassed with my lack of output recently - please keep up the good work, I hope to assist soon.
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908
granty101

Post by granty101 »

Richard B. wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 19:02 You`re doing a sterling job mate, I eel a bit embarrassed with my lack of output recently - please keep up the good work, I hope to assist soon.
No need to feel embarrassed Richard. I like researching things that are 'different' but relevant to the SOTCW cause :lol:

Grant
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Sorry Grant
The demise of the Journal took the "wind out of my sails" on the writing front; I continue to research, but for informing my own games, rules writing and painting.
On the demise of the Journal, perhaps one day we, he or she, will be bold enough to revive it, perhaps as a pdf publication for subscribing members.

I still receive similar Jounals from the Society of Ancients and Lone Warrior aimed at Solo Gamers although their association now seems to be led by a commercial journal, (but I may be wrong) that combines volunteer and publisher led (paid for?) writing.

The SOTCW Journal set high standards before its demise: high in production values and high in content.

Perhaps we should aim for a SOTCW "annual" (like my childhood Victor comic book annuals? - sorry that bit may not mean anything to non UK readers): we could aim for a SOTCW Annual Publication for Xmas 2021 (delivered pre Xmas)?

We could seek a new set of volunteer editors? (Hopefully with help on publishing from Russell?) And some volunteer writers?

What could I contribute?
I have written myself a set of WW2 rules, these could be donated, regimental, with card and initiative led focus.
I could write something about Iraq 1941 or Iraq 1920ish and the fate of the Manchester btn?
I could do some scenarios for Somalia and the not mad Mullah who raided British colony? (Avoiding those already done by Alan in his "Mad Mullah & Operations in Darfur".. I think Alan left others opportunities.)

OK I may be dreaming ... but why not? We could build a bank of material and then publish to paying subscribers, with funds raised focused on maintaining the Sotcw and a Journal and website / forum? The pdf could be sold over 12 months to those not subscribing in time for the Xmas delivery?

Build the material then publish?
I will even volunteer to help put it together... and submit all above before Easter 2021..... gulp ....
CarlL
dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

Like Carl, I have not stopped researching but, also like Carl, the demise of the Journal took away the joy of seeing my work in print. No offence to the Social Media/online folk but to me it is not the same. I have my own website so I could publish there if I wanted to.
I wrote what I did for the MEMBERS who might be interested or might just want to read something different. Now that we have no real society with members the purpose has gone. If I wanted a "wider audience" for articles I'd probably submit them to a "glossy" but not much interested in that. Though one publisher did publish my work fairly recently.

What have I researched since the demise of the Journal? Several actions in Normandy 1944, Seelow Heights and Berlin 1945 for my son who plays Bolt Action. Quite a lot on the Volkssturm, BDM and other Auxiliary forces for myself to add to my collection of figures that will probably never see a game!

At the moment my main interest has shifted away from 20th Century Warfare and is now firmly set in the early part of the Roman Principate and, in particular, the Romans in Britain. I have done several of the Open University free courses on Classical History and thoroughly enjoying it. Even re-learning Latin to read some sources!
granty101

Post by granty101 »

CarlL wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 22:02
Perhaps we should aim for a SOTCW "annual" ...we could aim for a SOTCW Annual Publication for Xmas 2021 (delivered pre Xmas)?

We could seek a new set of volunteer editors? (Hopefully with help on publishing from Russell?) And some volunteer writers?

Build the material then publish?

CarlL
Carl, that sounds like an excellent idea!! (See, you're not just a pretty face are you ;) )

I think a one-off annual would be a good 'compromise' between not having a regular Journal, but still having a presence in the 'physical' world....after all, who doesn't like to read a book??

Grant
granty101

Post by granty101 »

dadlamassu wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 07:34 Like Carl, I have not stopped researching but, also like Carl, the demise of the Journal took away the joy of seeing my work in print.
I hear what you're saying there Alan, but if we could 'revive' some form of publication, (and as Carl suggests, just an annual), would you still be interested in writing for it?

Grant
dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu »

granty101 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 12:37 I hear what you're saying there Alan, but if we could 'revive' some form of publication, (and as Carl suggests, just an annual), would you still be interested in writing for it?

Grant
Of course I'd think about it. But I'm not keen on electronic publications only - I like to see it on paper.
granty101

Post by granty101 »

dadlamassu wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 15:32
I like to see it on paper.
Hello Alan,

I think that's what Carl has proposed...a one off annual to come out around the Christmas time, but be in printed format, and not electronic.

Grant
hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 »

Agreed that the way ahead, if there is one, is some form of ANNUAL available through WV.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]