Blasts from the distant past

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
Richard B.

Blasts from the distant past

Post by Richard B. » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:24 pm

As you know I am slowly 10kgs at a time moving my hobby to its final resting place in Spain, we popped out again for 6 days over this half term and as part of my load, I emptied one box-file of magazines. When i unloaded at the other end these appeared, i thought they might prove amusing to members -

"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

CarlL

Re: Blasts from the distant past

Post by CarlL » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:42 am

A bit of gaming and Sotcw history!

I bet the articles are still worth a read too. (I am a late arriver so missed these).

Now there is a project - to digitally load up all the old ones and sell the dvd / cd / digital download for pther Sotcw projects ... or simply help the Journal keep alive as an "irregular" which is a fiiting Sotcw notion in the age of the small wars as proxy world wars. (Society of Ancients successfuly did this.)

My simple mind suggests a scanner, an editorial soft ware like Adobe Photoshop, and a pdf converter and a lot of time needed!

Of course it could be a shared project with owners of old copies doing their own copying and sharing to a wider editorial effort......

CarlL

cartfc

Post by cartfc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:57 am

Indeed it sounds a great idea. We should try and preserve it all.

Cheers Fred.

granty101

Post by granty101 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:54 pm

CarlL wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:42 am

My simple mind suggests a scanner
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.....you do have some lucid moments of clarity then!!! :lol:

Seriously Carl, good idea ;)

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

panzerman47

Post by panzerman47 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 am

Still have all the Journals from No 1 to the end, still a great read too.... 8-)

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am

Seriously needs digitalising for further use and posterity!
I would buy digital /CD / download old ones and also spare copies as pressies!
There is lots of scope here! Perhaps a Society project for any spare cash in the Sotcw bank account while current writing / Journls are not developing?

Not sure my home scanner / printer is up to such a job even if I had man hours in retirement to do it?!

CarlL

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:34 pm

There are legal issues with digitising people work without permission :(

Some authors point blank refused to allow their stuff to be so duplicated, we would, therefore, have to track down each and every author and ask their permission to reproduce their work in a digital format - I`m not sure this is even possible??
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Richard B. wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:34 pm
There are legal issues with digitising people work without permission :(

Some authors point blank refused to allow their stuff to be so duplicated, we would, therefore, have to track down each and every author and ask their permission to reproduce their work in a digital format - I`m not sure this is even possible??
What would be the risk if there was legal action? What if it went on WV as part of the Journal as a SOTCW product of obtaining past issues?
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 pm

hammurabi70 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:21 pm
What would be the risk if there was legal action? What if it went on WV as part of the Journal as a SOTCW product of obtaining past issues?
I see several risks:

1. We give the impression of being unprofessional arseholes who break promises and don't respect other people's copyright
2. As a consequence of point 1, fewer people contribute to the Journal
3. We get sued. Even if the amounts are minimal, the time and reputation cost would be significant

On a personal note, I would have to seriously consider my position in the society. I, and my clients, rely on copyright to make a living. If the SOTCW didn't respect copyright, I'd have serious misgivings about volunteering for the society or being a member.

Also, getting permission isn't an easy task. I did it for Journal 53. You may note that most of Journal 53 is available from Wargame Vault as a PDF. They're the articles where I was able to find the authors and get their permission. The ones that aren't included are the ones where I was unable to get permission.

Doing it for one Journal was time consuming and difficult. I won't be doing it for any more. If anyone else wants to take up the challenge, shout up.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:41 pm

No one would nor should expect anybody to compromise their own reputation and integrity for any reason. Its just a straight no no.

Contributors' expectation that their copyright will be honoured is also a very basic premise. Any breach of this isn't going to lead anywhere good.

I think anyone being asked to root out permission to use copyright material most definitely goes well above and beyond any reasonable expectation. The fact that Russell has already done this illustrates his efforts on behalf of the society.