1/1 Rules.

Discuss the society, wargaming, and other topics of interest
bannockburn bhoy

1/1 Rules.

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 am

I know there are a few of you troops that are well versed on the commercial rules available ,and more than a few that adapt various rules to end up with a set that suits your specific needs. I am thinking of putting together a large scale campaign either WW2 or Cold War era , in the European theatre , using 1/1 ratio for figures and vehicles.
Any advise on what would be the best rules to accommodate the one to one ratio would be most appreciated . Any other practical advise would of course also be most welcome . cheers John

Seret

Re: 1/1 Rules.

Post by Seret » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:41 pm

What sort of scale of game were you after? Platoon? Company? You can do battalion at 1:1 figure scale, but a lot will depend on how your infantry are based and what scale they are. Have you got 6mm based as squads or 28mm based individually, for example?

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:51 pm

John,
You won lotto and converted your local bingo hall to a games room!?
Sounds ambitious and fun!
Reminds me of Donald Featherstone reporting that Lionel Tarr, (I think I recall his name correctly, never met the man but his rules were ahead of their time!), was refighting siege of Stalingrad!
CarlL memory box fading, not least due to current infection and fever blurring all

Gary

Post by Gary » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:42 pm

These are still my ' go to' set for bigger 1/1 battles, no extra books needed!

http://www.skirmishcampaigns.com/aof/index.htm
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 pm

All 20mm 1/1 :- Warsaw pact.... 2 coys of motor rifles ,with attendant support and vehicles . 2 coys Naval Infantry with support and vehicles. 2 coys of paras and special forces . All supporting units Arty ,engineers, AA, transport , etc.
I coy T-72 , 2 coys T -80 , 1 coy other MBT,s. Allied forces in similar vein. Infantry is based individually. Heavy weapons are two to a base with the weapon.

WW2 about a third again ,more than the above. This is what can be called upon. thanks John
Last edited by bannockburn bhoy on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Gary wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:42 pm
These are still my ' go to' set for bigger 1/1 battles, no extra books needed!

http://www.skirmishcampaigns.com/aof/index.htm
Arc of Fire have been successfully used for several multi player games at Crisis Point. Worked very well each time.
Russell Phillips

Shilka Publishing
10 to 20% discount for SOTCW members - see The Journal for details

UshCha

Post by UshCha » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:07 pm

We have tried lots of ways. Our problem was that most of the ways we tried just failed to get the feel and needed terrain that had to design and was needed in quantities that were not practical. Plus most of the campaign or even battle syatems really did not get the feel of a commander who has to ration troops and artillery so he has some for later. We settled for a 10mm system but it could be scaled up for 20mm with bigger boards.

This was the map.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56805875@ ... ed-public/

Actually its a series of 2 roads. The very wide black limes are "board edges". The game was to reach the end of the board. Now as we tended to get it somewhere near it t 2 battalions on the attacking side to get through with engineeering and artillery support. Most of the time only one or two companies were fighting as they dont last long before fule ammo and exhaustion set in. Also artillery mainly off board. as this was only about 5 Km of road bit the ammo was limited so who got what when and then pauses for getting fresh ammo. We avoided counmter battery as ot gets too hard with all the other issues.

We used our rules almost unchanged.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/582 ... rs_id=2500

They are better than most in dealing with large distance moves needed to bring up units from reserve. Being KISS oriented we simply used the existing endureance listed in our rules and made units retire off table or stop when the endrance ran out. You could have far more compex rules but this pushed my ability right to its lomits working out how much to deply and where, the map is actually 2 roads the windy one is limited with 15 ton bridges so who gets the Bridge layers and onece a tanks gone down a 15 ton road you are not going to use it for trucks so do you go off road all the way?

This was a short game 150 bounds or 25 hours but as sytems need refuelong and rearming every 8 hours getting stuff off for refuelong or risking replenishment close ip is anothet task.

I would suggeat you think long and hard about what you wnat to actualy do. Ther is another therad that is interestong on big battles. Many folk just want more toys on table which is not reall about the role of higher command elements.. In reality haigher command is more about overall plans and logistics.

I wish you well on your endevour and look forward to seeing how you proceed.

Seret

Post by Seret » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:14 am

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 pm
All 20mm 1/1 :- Warsaw pact.... 2 coys of motor rifles ,with attendant support and vehicles . 2 coys Naval Infantry with support and vehicles. 2 coys of paras and special forces . All supporting units Arty ,engineers, AA, transport , etc.
I coy T-72 , 2 coys T -80 , 1 coy other MBT,s. Allied forces in similar vein. Infantry is based individually. Heavy weapons are two to a base with the weapon.

WW2 about a third again ,more than the above. This is what can be called upon. thanks John
So you're looking at about a battalion plus scale game, but with a 1:1 figure scale? That's a bit niche. Is it really that important that you stick to that figure scale? The ground scale of most rules with 1:1 figure scale will mean you'll need a pretty massive playing area, the frontage of a battalion in defence could easily be 1-2km and similar or greater depth, and you'll want more than that to allow maneuver.

It might be more manageable to break it down into several company-sized engagements that link together?

Gary

Post by Gary » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:44 pm

I have gamed multi company sized battles with the aforementioned Arc of Fire rules, they use squads as basic elements, leaders are important for rallying and C3 etc, units are played in random order with playing card activation- better units can have extra cards in the deck to simulate better C3 etc.I
It can be a hoot reinforcing success or plugging the gap as you feed in another platoon or company to the grinder
Don't get too hung up on frontage and overcrowding, in a battalion attack, there is a lead company (or two), the company has a lead platoon and that platoon a point of the spear squad/section! It can all get very crowded at the front or real lonely when it goes pear shaped!
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes"

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

Mainly28s

Post by Mainly28s » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:44 pm

So maybe a dumb question, but where can one buy the AoF rules in the UK now? The places listed on their site either don't exist anymore, or don't appear to stock them.