Over & out

Discuss the society magazine The Journal
bannockburn bhoy

Over & out

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 28 Apr 2019, 10:03

Just saw the message confirming the Journal is no more...well it was a helluva run for a small society. :c Only remains to thanks all those involved down through the years that kept it going and to such a standard.
I really appreciate everyone efforts ,obviously the most recent incumbents and the specific problems they have faced .
Im sure no one would begrudge a special mention to Richard Baber Esquire for all he did so consistently down through the years, well done that man. Et Al cheers John

ianrs54

Re: Over & out

Post by ianrs54 » 28 Apr 2019, 10:21

Here Here....
Any thing bigger than 6 is TOO BIG

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » 28 Apr 2019, 14:16

Thanks to all but I am not sure that ceasing publication of the Journal should mean closing the Society membership, which seems to be the approach made.
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 28 Apr 2019, 19:54

hammurabi70 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 14:16
Thanks to all but I am not sure that ceasing publication of the Journal should mean closing the Society membership, which seems to be the approach made.
Well what is the point of membership without a Journal??

Only about 10 people post regularly here with another 6-10 on the FB page, hardly a society :(
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

dadlamassu

Post by dadlamassu » 28 Apr 2019, 21:38

A society is an organisation (or club) formed for a particular purpose. The purpose as I understand it was to share informaton and discussion on 20th (and then including 21st) Cenrury warfare with particukar emphasis on wargames set in that period. The Journal was the main vehicle of this. Without the Journal this has become just another forum that I used to check daily but now only check sometimes, I miss the journal and supported it with contributuins for a long time. Now my research stays at our club. And no, I have no intention of putting onto a website.

Thanks to all the friends I have made here and those who kept the society going, My special thanks to Richard and to those that have helped me with projects and those whom I have been able to help. I will still visit every now and then.

CarlL

Post by CarlL » 29 Apr 2019, 01:54

I don't often agree with Hammurabi70 but on this occasion I think he is spot on.
The conception of a membership around a Journal is one I am comfortable with, but equally the 3 editors calling time on their editorship, at a time of no material to publish, should not be the end of the Society, and should not be something our editorial team should be deciding?! Surely that is the membership's call?
While there are ten members communicating, with or without a Journal then we have a community and a membership however fragile.
I would rather continue in this manner than call time?
Do we have more dissenting voices than consenting voices in this issue?
This seems to me to be a constitutional matter for members not editors to decide?
CarlL

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » 29 Apr 2019, 08:16

To be clear, the text of the announcement is here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788

Regarding membership, I think it's a bit of a nebulous concept. If we were to maintain a membership, what would that mean? What would someone need to do in order to be considered a member? What benefits would they get in return? Bear in mind that we currently have over £600, enough to pay for several years of domain & web hosting. When the team were discussing this, we thought it was obvious that the change meant that there would be nothing to be a member of.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » 29 Apr 2019, 08:25

Russell Phillips wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 08:16
To be clear, the text of the announcement is here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788

Regarding membership, I think it's a bit of a nebulous concept. If we were to maintain a membership, what would that mean? What would someone need to do in order to be considered a member? What benefits would they get in return? Bear in mind that we currently have over £600, enough to pay for several years of domain & web hosting. When the team were discussing this, we thought it was obvious that the change meant that there would be nothing to be a member of.
That was my understanding of the letter
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 29 Apr 2019, 10:26

AS to whose decision it is to shut things down, the team , the membership..if the forum stayed alive it would still need to be administered . Who would do that if the present volunteers quit.
I was one of the very first members of this Society and raked in dozens of members at its inception, at one time I had nine subscriptions as gifts to friends. I will really miss it if it totally shuts down.
I have proposed on at least two occasions trying to reboot the membership if only for the forum, there was no reaction and as such we find ourselves where we are.
I would settle for a forum only but it evidently lacks appeal and the reasons as put forward are not unreasonable.
So lets be clear ..is it the overall view the Society including the forum be disbanded. The £600 boodle could easily be donated to a services charity or similar. I would ask EVERYONE still posting to contribute their viewpoint.
If its Finito its a real fkn shame. Wishing all well cheers John

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » 29 Apr 2019, 10:32

bannockburn bhoy wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 10:26
So lets be clear ..is it the overall view the Society including the forum be disbanded.
That's not my view, no. Nor is it the view of the team as a whole. We're trying to keep the society going, albeit in a very different form. There will still be articles and reviews (assuming we get them), which will be posted on the website. There will still be this forum. The Journal will not exist, but if people submit content, that content will be accessible on the website.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing