Journal 96

Discuss the society magazine The Journal
Russell Phillips

Journal 96

Post by Russell Phillips » 24 Feb 2019, 09:04

It's about six months since Journal 95, and so far we have zero pages for Journal 96. I'd like to change that.

I'm going to see if I can write something. I vaguely recall that Richard B said he'd written some articles, but as far as I know, we haven't had them. Can you send them on, please, Richard?

I'm going to write a few reviews, which will appear on the website. Those that signed up for emails will get notified when the reviews go live. If you haven't already, use the Subscribe box on the website.

I'm also fairly sure that people have said that they've written reviews (and articles?) that haven't appeared in the Journal. If that's the case, let me know. If you still have a copy, email it to me. If you don't, I'll see if I can find it.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

bannockburn bhoy

Re: Journal 96

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 24 Feb 2019, 18:14

Russell that is heartening ,and thanks for all you do. Im not getting carried away but ,is it worth trying to reboot the Society ,getting in touch with everyone that's registered and asking them to participate again in the forum etc. I know its a lack of participation that has brought things to where they are.
I think there maybe the possibility that some didn't miss the water till the well run dry , that together with the fallout from the in fighting etc put a lot of people off also.
If we perhaps tried to start again with a clean sheet , no finger pointing , nor recriminations and everybody trying to be as positive as possible ,perhaps we could form the basis for rebuilding a bit of momentum to getting things back approaching where they were.
The Society at its height was one of the best, were never going to get The Journal back to the previous output ,but if we restarted with something realistically do-able like an annual or similar perhaps it could be done...perhaps.
I fully realise this may not in any way have been the reason for your post and I realise it would involve work for our admin bods ,yourself included. If it was laid out what was required from the existing membership to assist and it still wasn't forthcoming then that would be the end of it ,and we at least would be out of limbo.
As previously this would have to be predicated on the participation of the membership, perhaps we could collectively discuss this further.
I might be way of with this ,I dont know ,one thing , this is not intended to take the existing admin for granted ,
we would have to have a sort out before things commenced which would involve their views advise etc. cheers John Russell I will be in touch with you shortly regarding your book.

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » 25 Feb 2019, 09:51

John,

At this point, I'm not willing to take money for Sub 16, because I have no confidence that we'd be able to deliver the Journals. I'm fairly sure Andrew feels the same way.

I don't want the SOTCW to fold, but I think we need to change the way it works. On the Facebook group, Richard B suggested that we could set up a blog where people could publish their stuff direct. I know plenty of people will miss the paper Journal, but I think that's probably the best idea I've heard thus far.

Russ
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 » 25 Feb 2019, 23:13

Russell Phillips wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 09:51
I don't want the SOTCW to fold, but I think we need to change the way it works. On the Facebook group, Richard B suggested that we could set up a blog where people could publish their stuff direct. I know plenty of people will miss the paper Journal, but I think that's probably the best idea I've heard thus far.
I am missing something here but rather than using a blog would not some suitable set up on the website serve the same purpose?
If you are such a great writer make me want to logon and respond! [Adapted]

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » 25 Feb 2019, 23:18

The website runs on WordPress, so when I referred to a blog, I was meaning a blog on the website, using WordPress' blog functionality. That's how we currently do reviews.

Sorry I wasn't clearer.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

granty101

Post by granty101 » 28 Feb 2019, 17:12

Russell Phillips wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 09:04
It's about six months since Journal 95, and so far we have zero pages for Journal 96. I'd like to change that.
Russ, I sent an article to Pete Jones a few months back, hopefully, he still has it?

I'll also get my finger out, and finish off another couple of things I have 'in the pipeline'

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 28 Feb 2019, 19:31

Russell Phillips wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 23:18
The website runs on WordPress, so when I referred to a blog, I was meaning a blog on the website, using WordPress' blog functionality. That's how we currently do reviews.

Sorry I wasn't clearer.
it was perfectly clear you meant the website ,vague you are not.

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » 28 Feb 2019, 19:38

Russell if the proposed copy of the Journal is just to use up the remaining existing funds , and that is the end of the Journal in all forms ,then I myself don't think its worth the hassle that it would put you and the rest of the admin through. I wouldn't mind whatever is left being donated to a services charity.
Im not being an ingrate nor being facetious and think you have all done more than enough ,and that this would be a more than acceptable way of dealing with things, again thanks for all you all do. cheers John

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » 01 Mar 2019, 10:36

Grant, as far as I know we don't have it. If you still have a copy, can you email it to me, please? If not, send me the details, and I'll see if I can find it.

John, it's partly to soak up some of the money. If we can't put one together, it's not the end of the world. There will still be costs relating to the website and forum, so any remaining funds will be used for that.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

TWR

Post by TWR » 07 Mar 2019, 04:34

Hi,

I am a relatively recent member and I am unaware of some of the history. I apologise if I have misunderstood something.

Since joining the last few journals seemed to indicate the society was closing down. At least that was my interpretation of the last couple of editorials. In the thread under Journal 95 it seemed the editor had retired. Given this and no information on future issues, excepting this thread, I assumed the SOTCW was effectively gone.

I completely understand that the Journal is a work of great effort by a few, and equally reliant on the members for material. It probably has drawn too heavily on a few members for this as well.

However, I for one am very confused if there is an attempt to recover things, a last gasp or something else. In effect I am hearing mixed messages and I for one am very confused. For people to be inspired to write something I suggest clearer communication on the intent would I suspect be useful.

I may have it all wrong of course...

Kind regards,
Keith
Visit my gaming sites:
World War II Spearhead: https://ww2spearhead.wordpress.com
Modern Spearhead: https://modernspearhead.wordpress.com