Journal 95 and Editors Role

Discuss the society magazine The Journal
granty101

Re: Journal 95 and Editors Role

Post by granty101 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 am

CarlL wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:07 pm

I still have 15months to go till I can retire and free up some energy or time for this kind of volunteering!

I can hang on 15 months if you're volunteering Carl? ;)

I already have you're e-mail address in which to send my submissions. :lol:

Grant
Vot is your Name? Don't tell him Pike!!!

Rumblestrip

Post by Rumblestrip » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:03 pm

CarlL wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:07 pm
...I for one would love to hear a briefing from Pete about what the job entails as I dont think I have an accurate picture of what we are asking someone to do?...
CarlL
Carl
I note you haven't had a reply to this. Pete's been putting together The Journal and I've been away to foreignland. I can't tell you the specifics of what Pete does but I can give you an overview.

The Editor's job is fashioned after the abilities and desires of the incumbent. However, of late the following has been the approximate process

1) Someone sends something in (preferably electronically - in almost any format). Occasionally a handwritten piece comes in or at least a typed hard copy. If only available in hard copy Pete has generally made an electronic version by typing the thing out or using an Optical Character Recognition scanner.
2) Electronic copies are filed into a shared folder. Russ, Pete and I have SOTCW folders on our PCs which, by some mystical process understood by Russ and Pete, update themselves so that they are all up to date with each other on all of our PCs regardless of who makes changes to them.
3) I open articles from the folder and do a first edit. This involves changing them in OpenOffice format; changing the fonts and layout plus titles to the house style and reading and correcting the article - correcting any spellings, poor grammar, rewording confusing bits and standardising punctuation and styles. I also cut out any embedded images and save them separately and redo any maps as necessary (trying to create a house style rather than use hand drawn ones). Sometimes I add notes to suggest where images might help or to mark the position where I have extracted an image. Occasionally I add notes saying I haven't got a clue what the author means and that the Editor needs to have a close look. I also stitch bits of articles together, select bits of Rob Morgan's writings to make up a single Rob's Rearguard and occasionally radically butcher immense articles to make them two or three parters. Once that's done I save the new edited version of the article into one of another set of shared folders categorised according to type (simply 'review' or 'other') and era (pre WWII, WWII or post WWII). Finally I update the folder with a page count.
4) At some point Pete then steps in. Reviewing the shared folders he can see when we have enough material of enough variety (author, era, type, reviews) to put together an edition.
5) He does a second edit of all the articles selected for the edition, writes an editorial and sources any adverts (mainly submitted by members I believe). He re-embeds any images (I take them out because we rarely use them all and we might need to move them around or resize them to make them fit) and sources new images for articles which might benefit from them or where there's space to be filled. He works out the order in which the articles are to appear and puts the bits which are common to all editions in the right place. Thereafter he stitches it all together as a single OpenOffice document sorting out the pagination.
6) Pete has, of late, sourced B&W images in the Interweb and colourised them (rather well) with GIMP (a free photoediting tool) for use as the front cover. I have recently started to use this for the covers on my books and find it a total pain in the a***. Pete does an excellent job and I have little idea how. Colourising B&W photos makes covers easier to source. If we rely on colour photos in the right proportions, freely available out of copyright at the right definition it's very difficult. I think I have found one cover and Russ and Pete the rest of the non colourised B&W ones between them.
7) The newly minted 32 page OpenOffice document is saved in another of our shared folders and all three of us read it again. Invariably we make even more changes as errors in the merging of the separate documents into one throw up spacing problems and we still notice spelling errors or typos.
8) After we've all done that Pete makes the OpenOffice Document into a PDF. On the one had this is dead easy. There are any number of programs which offer a 'print as a PDF' option. On the other had I believe (I might be wrong) this has to be the special 'Printer's compliant' version. Basically give a print shop a PDF (which might print perfectly well on your PC) and you will get (probably) a very bad output. It needs to have additional information embedded into it for a Printing press to make sense of it. Russ can do this because he's clever and writes books with all the proper software. Pete I believe is the one who actually does it. I loathe the process but have had to learn it for my own books. However I have never yet got it right first (or even 21st) time and never done it for a Journal. I think this is the one really tricky bit of the whole process.
9) Once it's saved as a PDF we all read it again (to a greater or lesser extent) and invariably we still spot things wrong. Russ and I sheepishly point them out to Pete who corrects them (I believe he has PDF editing software) and at some point we all stop looking and declare it complete.
10) Russ takes over and sends the PDF to the printer's to print the hard copies. He receives these, puts them in envelopes (usually ably, though perhaps, reluctantly) assisted by his wife and posts them out. He then magically makes the PDF live on Wargames Vault and wherever else they are available.
11) We all receive copies in a few days and within one or two minutes of opening them spot a mistake we had all missed.

All simple really. :D

Anyway, as I say, that's our process, but any new Editor would have their own way of getting from A to B.

Cheers

Andrew
¡Vencerán…pero no convencerán!

bannockburn bhoy

Post by bannockburn bhoy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Is that all there is to it..........Thanks guys for all you have done and those that came before you, cheers John

Russell Phillips

Post by Russell Phillips » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:05 pm

I'll add a few more notes to Andrew's explanation.
Rumblestrip wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:03 pm
The Editor's job is fashioned after the abilities and desires of the incumbent.
I think this is worth emphasising. Also worth noting that I'm happy to help out with technical issues.
Rumblestrip wrote:
2) Electronic copies are filed into a shared folder. Russ, Pete and I have SOTCW folders on our PCs which, by some mystical process understood by Russ and Pete, update themselves so that they are all up to date with each other on all of our PCs regardless of who makes changes to them.
Don't let this put you off. I'm happy to help install and set up SyncThing (the program that automagically synchronises the folders). Once it's set up and running you can ignore it. It'll just do it's thing all by itself.
Rumblestrip wrote:
8) After we've all done that Pete makes the OpenOffice Document into a PDF. On the one had this is dead easy. There are any number of programs which offer a 'print as a PDF' option. On the other had I believe (I might be wrong) this has to be the special 'Printer's compliant' version. Basically give a print shop a PDF (which might print perfectly well on your PC) and you will get (probably) a very bad output. It needs to have additional information embedded into it for a Printing press to make sense of it. Russ can do this because he's clever and writes books with all the proper software. Pete I believe is the one who actually does it. I loathe the process but have had to learn it for my own books. However I have never yet got it right first (or even 21st) time and never done it for a Journal. I think this is the one really tricky bit of the whole process.
This is much simpler with our printers than it is with book printers. The main thing is that images need to be 300dpi (dots per inch) to look good in print. In other words, if an image is 300 pixels x 300 pixels, it needs to be no larger than 1" x 1" in the print magazine, even though it'll look fine at a much larger size on screen. Cover images need to be at least 2,490 pixels wide by 3,510 pixels tall, which is why they're so hard to source.
Russell Phillips
Shilka Publishing

CarlL

Post by CarlL » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Well described guys.
Gives everyone clear idea about the work involved.
CarlL

Richard B.

Post by Richard B. » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:23 pm

As I said earlier, I have maybe 20 pages here ready to go.

So when/if someone raises a shakey hand I`ll pass them over :lol:
"“Sir with the compliments of my officer, your shooting was excellent – you killed four of our men”!
Un-named Traillieur to an artillery officer at R`Fakah, Morocco, Feb. 29th, 1908

TWR

Post by TWR » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:14 am

Thank you to the team involved in producing the latest version. I’m still working my way through the journal, but certainly appreciate all the work putting this together.

Kind regards,

Keith McNelly
Visit my gaming sites:
World War II Spearhead: https://ww2spearhead.wordpress.com
Modern Spearhead: https://modernspearhead.wordpress.com